Northern League: Seaham Red Star hit back in sensational style for epic 5-4 victory

Seaham Red Star manager Chris McCabe saw his side come from 4-0 down to win 5-4
Seaham Red Star manager Chris McCabe saw his side come from 4-0 down to win 5-4
Have your say

Seaham Red Star sensationally kept pace with the Ebac Northern League Division One’s top four in a thrilling nine-goal encounter away at Guisborough Town last night.

They finished 5-4 winners, after being 4-0 down with less than half an hour to go.

Guisborough were 2-0 up at half-time, through Thibault Charmey’s 17th-minute free-kick and his close-range strike on 31 minutes.

Town increased their lead by the 63nd minute, when Lee McPhillips and Joe Ferguson scored.

But then the fightback started with five goals in 22 minutes from Red Star, the first in 64 minutes when Paul Gardiner tapped home.

The second was a brilliant shot from David Paul from 30 yards, and then they made it 4-3 when Craig Lynch scored from close range.

Incredibly, Red Star equalised after 83 minutes, when Lee Hetherington’s corner appeared to go directly into the net past keeper Ben Escritt. With only four minutes left, they took the lead when Lynch scored again, finding the corner of the net to seal an unforgettable win.

Sunderland RCA led before losing 4-1 at Shildon.

On 19 minutes, RCA’s Colin Larkin broke down the right and, in a one-to-one with keeper Nick Liversedge, scored into the bottom right corner.

Shildon equalised in the 35th minute when Michael Rae headed in an excellent left-wing cross.

Four minutes after half-time, David Ferguson cut in from the right, beating three defenders, before smashing a shot into the top left-hand corner of the net, giving Sam Guthrie, the RCA keeper, no chance.

Billy Greulich-Smith made it 3-1 when he tapped home a cross from the right, and Lewis Wing ran through the middle and beat the keeper with ease for 4-1 late on.

North Shields went back to the top with a 3-1 win over bottom club West Auckland.

Adam Preston had West ahead, firing into the top left-hand corner. But Danny Richmond own goal and strikes from Ryan McGorrigan and skipper Kevin Hughes, who headed home Dean Holmes’ corner, turned it around.

Morpeth Town earned a 3-2 home win over Whitley Bay. Chris Reid, Michael Chilton and, in stoppage time, Steven Anderson, did the damage, with Callum Patton twice equalising.

Consett had a narrow 2-1 win at West Allotment Celtic.

Michael Sweet’s ninth-minute opener and a Luke Sullivan penalty, after Andy Knowles felled Nathan Stephenson, won the day. Stuart Bramley replied.

In Division Two, Easington Colliery succumbed 1-0 at unbeaten Billingham Synthonia.

The crucial goal came in the 41st minute when Liam O’Sullivan crossed from the right and Josh Rowbottom powerfully headed past keeper Kyle Donaldson.

Bedlington Terriers recorded their third win, defeating Brandon United 3-2.

Daniel Quine opened and closed the scoring for Brandon, but Lee Scott, netting after his penalty was saved by Tom Orton, Kyle Oliver and Jack Foalle gave Terriers the points.

Heaton Stannington lost 3-0 at Stockton Town, with Joe Carter’s 12-second opener leading the way. Carter again and Callum Hannah made it three.

Norton and Stockton Ancients won 4-1 at Northallerton Town.

Midway through the first half, Philip Caley used his strength to fend off two central defenders and slam the ball past the dive of James Briggs in the Town goal.

Just before half-time, a foul in the box was conceded which allowed Caley to convert and score his second of the evening.

Town pulled a goal back through Matty Lovatt just after half-time, from a header after a cross from Elliott McGlade.

However, two goals in three minutes, one a James Marley tap-in at the back post and then when Nicky Martin ran clear to fire past Briggs to make it 4-1.