Northern League: Red Star fightback comes to nothing, even against 10 men for closing stages

Have your say

Seaham Red Star were unable to make a numerical advantage count in the final 20 minutes of Saturday’s Ebac Northern League First Division game against Dunston UTS.

The visitors went in at the break with a two-goal cushion and looked in a commanding position to go on and take all three points.

But, in the 55th minute, a well-taken free-kick from Lee Kerr was met at the far post by Liam McBryde and he halved the deficit.

Red Star must have fancied their chances of claiming at least a draw when Dunston had Adam Wilkinson sent off in the 70th minute.

Three minutes later, they were awarded a penalty for a foul on Lewis Wing, however keeper Liam Connell saved Ryan Noble’s spot-kick.

To compound the disappointment, almost immediately Matthew Fisher set up the irrepressible Malcolm Morien to complete his hat-trick for the visitors.

Following a good opening 25 minutes by Red Star, it was Morien – who has proved a tremendous close-season signing from Jarrow Roofing – who slid the ball past goalkeeper Shaun Newbrook.

Five minutes later, his 20-yard drive took a deflection and gave Newbrook no chance of saving.

Only one other game in Division One went ahead because of the torrential morning rain and there was disappointment for Sunderland RCA when they conceded a 94th-minute equaliser to second-bottom Bedlington Terriers.

Joe Melvin’s sixth-minute effort came off a defender and looped into the net wide of Terriers’ goalkeeper Peter Denton, but Mason Stephenson soon levelled with a tap-in at the far post.

When Jack Pounder crashed the ball into the roof of the net on 73 minutes, restoring RCA’s lead, it appeared that Martin Swales’ side were on their way to victory.

But, four minutes into added time, Alex Benjamin placed a header wide of on-loan Sunderland keeper James Talbot into the net. RCA remain eighth. A win would have lifted them back up to fifth place .

“It was disappointing to leak a goal with virtually the last kick of the game. I thought, when Jack Pounder scored, we were on our way, but all credit to Bedlington who did very well to get back into the game,” observed RCA boss Martin Swales.