Northern League: Noble mission accomplished by red-hot Ryan

Two-goal Conor Winter (red and white) drives in a shot in Saturday's 3-0 Second Division win over Hebburn Town. Picture by Kevin Brady
Two-goal Conor Winter (red and white) drives in a shot in Saturday's 3-0 Second Division win over Hebburn Town. Picture by Kevin Brady
Have your say

A romp in the park at Woodhorn Lane lifted Seaham Red Star well clear of the First Division relegation zone and will undoubtedly have given their confidence a tremendous boost.

Ashington – just below halfway – boast a mean defence and, before conceding four to Mark Collingwood’s side on Saturday, had leaked just 23 in 16 games.

But Steve Harmison’s Colliers found their match as Seaham produced a five-star performance.

They made a dream start, with man-of-the-match Ryan Noble firing them into a third-minute lead with a clinical finish from 18 yards.

Former Durham City player Ollie Hotchkiss set up Josh Gray’s first-half equaliser, but Seaham were rampant during the second half.

Ex-Sunderland and Burnley forward Noble collected a long clearance from his goalkeeper, Shaun Newbrook, and slotted home before heading past keeper Conor Grant for his hat-trick.

And there was still time for Lewis Wing to convert a late Seaham penalty, awarded when Grant brought down Robbie Bird.

The 4-1 victory lifted Red Star to eighth-bottom spot, seven points ahead of West Auckland, who occupy the last relegation place.

Sunderland RCA’s long unbeaten sequence came to an end at West Auckland, who made it back-to-back wins, edging the Wearsiders by the odd goal in three.

Colin Larkin hit the post for RCA before West scored twice in five early second-half minutes.

Scott Oldfield’s effort went in off the post and a cross from Jack Proctor was headed into his own net by RCA’s Wayne Buchanan.

But, within five minutes, Martin Swales’ side was back in the game. Dennis Knight blocked Stephen Callan’s effort and, when the ball broke, Luke Proctor netted from close-range.

It wasn’t a good day all round for RCA, who, four minutes from time, had Andrew Brown sent off, shown a straight red card.

Washington won their second game on the bounce, but it was a narrow squeak against Whitley Bay on a heavy pitch at Nissan.

The outcome was decided with a 30th-minute penalty, which Mark Davidson fired past Bay goalkeeper Andrew Jennison.

Washington keeper Jonathan Carmichael made a string of good saves to keep his side in front and Whitley’s hopes wilted on 72 minutes when they had Alex Kempster dismissed.

Durham City succumbed to second-bottom Bedlington Terriers at Consett.

Just one goal settled the result. With only 10 minutes gone, Marc Walton had time to pick his spot and beat goalkeeper Tom Flynn with a low drive.

The Citizens controlled the second half, with Ross Stead forcing a finger-tip save by keeper Peter Denton, who, just before the end, also denied Jack Dancey.

The two leading sides both lost. Morpeth Town conceded three points for only the second time in 18 games when they crashed 4-1 to fourth-top Guisborough Town, whose marksmen were Steve Snaith, Danny Earl (2) and Curtis Round. Michael Chilton hit Morpeth’s consolation.

Second-placed Shildon were beaten 2-1 by in-form Newton Aycliffe, whose matchwinners were Zak Bogie and John Campbell. Paul Connor had given hosts Shildon a first-half lead.

Ian Ward and an own goal secured the points for Bishop Auckland at home to Newcastle Benfield, for whom player manager Paul Brayson converted a late spot-kick.

Jarrow Roofing, who have games in hand on every side except Whitley Bay, remain in the bottom six despite defeating Consett 3-2.

Kerry Hedley and Paul Chow fired their side into a two-goal lead by the eighth minute, but the Steelmen roared back through Luke Sullivan and Michael Sweet. Right on half-time, Chow struck again for what proved to be the winner.