Northern League: Mechanics maintain forward momentum with impressive victory against Consett

Washington (red) take on Consett on Saturday. Picture by Tim Richardson
Washington (red) take on Consett on Saturday. Picture by Tim Richardson
Have your say

Washington maintained their resurgence under boss Neil Hixon by beating in-form Consett 3-2 in Saturday’s Division One clash at the Nissan Sports Complex.

Victory made it seven points from three games in eight days for the Mechanics, lifting them up to 16th place, four points clear of the drop zone.

After a neat move in the 11th minute, Glen Lane opened the scoring for the home side, but the Jordan Nellis equalised for the Steelmen, following good work from Daniel Hawkins.

The home side regained the lead when Matty Waters received an excellent ball from Marc Costello and he beat keeper Chris Elliott with ease.

It was 3-1 after 84 minutes, when substitute Foster Garton scored from close range after a save from Elliott had pushed the ball out into his path.

Consett scored again after 87 minutes, through Luke Sullivan, to make it a nervous last few minutes for the home side, but Hixon’s men held firm.

The Meadow Park derby clash between Sunderland RCA and Seaham Red Star ended in a lacklustre 1-1 draw.

Both sides had difficulty getting into their strides and it was not until the 40th minute that the deadlock was broken.

Robbie Bird’s tame effort that somehow evaded RCA keeper Jordan Harkess’S reach and found the corner of the net.

As the game wore on, it was looking likely that Red Star would claim the three points. But, in the 80th minute, RCA were awarded a penalty after Clayton Davis was fouled in the box and fit-again Jonny Davis duly despatched the ball into the net, beating keeper Shaun Newbrook to level matters.

Bishop Auckland, held at Washington in midweek, regained winning ways as Andrew Johnson, Alex Francis and sub Dylan Elliott saw off lowly hosts West Allotment Celtic 3-0.

West Auckland suffered a 5-2 defeat at Marske United, who stormed two up inside 21 minutes.

Jamie Owens and Andrew Ramsbottom did the damage, but West fought back to level at 2-2, Adam Burnicle converting from the spot, after Adam Wheatley was sent off for a push on the striker.

Nine minutes later, Burnicle scored again, beating keeper James Dean.

But Marske regained control, Mulligan notching just three minutes later, before the visitors had Tommy Marron sent off for tripping Danny Earl. Glen Butterworth fired home the resulting free-kick.

Butterworth grabbed his second goal late on to seal victory.

Ashington rocked Newton Aycliffe with a stunning 4-0 away victory as Ben Harmison and Scott Gunn’s strikes were followed by a double from David Dormand.

Scott Heslop and Dale Burrell opened and closed the scoring for Dunston UTS, who were beaten 4-2 by visitors Morpeth Town. Burrell’s own goal, plus Sean Taylor’s brace and a Ben Sayer strike, gave Morpeth the edge.

Leaders North Shields just had the edge on derby visitors Whitley Bay, running out 3-2 winners in a thriller.

But it was a tighter than expected battle, as the Robins were three goals to the good with 10 minutes to go.

Lee Mason fired a first-half double, including a penalty, either side of a Ryan Carr header.

But Whitley came back strongly in the closing stages, with Kyle Patton pulling one back on 80 minutes. In stoppage time, Adam Shanks made it 3-2, but time ran out on any hopes of an equaliser.