Northern League: Majestic McBryde hat-trick seals welcome boost for Red Star

Easington Colliery (green and white) take on Brandon United in Saturday's Second Division clash
Easington Colliery (green and white) take on Brandon United in Saturday's Second Division clash
Have your say

A superb Liam McBryde hat-trick featured in Seaham Red Star’s thrilling First Division 4-3 win against Durham City at New Ferens Park on Saturday.

McBryde – who has been a regular scorer wherever he’s played – sensationally rifled his three goals in 11 first-half minutes.

It was City who scored first, though, as Jason Blackburn headed in a corner, but Robbie Bird then converted a Nick Kane cross for the equaliser.

McBryde went to work on 34 minutes with a header and two minutes later he struck for a second time after again being set up by Bird.

Right on the stroke of half-time, Seaham were coasting at 4-1 as McBryde completed his hat-trick with a volley at the back post.

At this stage, Durham looked to be out of it, but they produced a second-half rally which almost gained them a point.

Callum Patton bagged a brace in eight minutes to throw the result wide open, but Red Star held on for only their second win in 10 games.

Sunderland RCA are up into the top six after another impressive victory, 3-1 at home to Norton and Stockton Ancients, they are into the top six.

Debutant Joseph Melvin provided the opening for Kevin Gordon to give the Wearsiders the lead and, early in the second period, Melvin scored with a fine solo effort to double the RCA lead.

Norton hit back with a Ryan Braithwaite goal eight minutes from time, but any doubts the Meadow Park men harboured were quickly extinguished as Anthony Coe struck a decisive third goal on 88 minutes.

Shildon extended their lead at the top of the table to seven points – but they experienced a nervous finish before defeating neighbours Bishop Auckland 3-2.

The home side appeared to be coasting to victory when they led by goals from Paul Connor, Lewis Wing and Jordan Lavery (own goal) but were set back on their heels as Kyle Davis converted a 77th-minute penalty.

Davis then failed with a second spot-kick before Arjun Purewal cut the deficit to a single goal and Shildon were forced to defend for their lives in the last few minutes.

Second-top Morpeth Town lost for the first time and Washington, who were on FA Cup duty, are now the only unbeaten team.

North Shields were 2-0 winners at Morpeth with strikes by Curtis Coppen and James Luccock, while Shaun Vipond’s long-ranger and a goal from skipper Alex White steered Jarrow Roofing home 2-1 at Bedlington Terriers, after trailing to a Marc Walton strike.