Northern League: Gardiner the saviour as Red Star foil Robins

Have your say

Seaham Red Star have not set the First Division alight yet, but manager Mark Collingwood is well satisfied at taking two points from the first two games.

On Saturday, the top-flight newcomers drew at Penrith and last night they held FA Carlsberg Vase winners North Shields to a 2-2 draw.

Sonny Andrews fired Star in front with a penalty, but, within four minutes, Gareth Bainbridge restored parity, also with a spot-kick.

The Robins went in ahead as James Luccock beat goalkeeper Sean Newbrook, but it was no more than Collingwood’s men deserved when Paul Gardiner equalised following a free-kick.

Two late goals by Andrew Johnson steered Bishop Auckland to a 4-2 victory over Jarrow Roofing at Heritage Park.

Scott Thompson and Adam Nicholls’ goals were cancelled out by Roofing’s John Campbell and Lewis Teasdale before the ever-dangerous Johnson proved to be the matchwinner with a second-half brace.

Shildon, runners-up last time, will almost certainly be front-runners again.

After scoring five goals at the weekend, they blitzed newly-promoted Norton and Stockton Ancients 8-0 as Mark Doninger (2), Michael Rea (2), Lewis Wing, Carl Jones. Dale Mulligan (own goal) and Mark Hudson got on the scoresheet.

In contrast, West Allotment Celtic have conceded four times in both matches.

Newton Aycliffe, for whom summer signing Mattie Moffat (2), Stuart Banks and ex-Sunderland reserve-teamer Jordan Laidler scored, won 4-0.

Bedlington Terriers leaked eight goals on Saturday but produced a much improved performance in holding Newcastle Benfield to a 1-1 draw.

Their marksman was Adam Harvey before Paul Brayson equalised.

In Division Two, a brace from Dean Thexton eased Willington to a 2-1 victory over Brandon United for whom Jack Marley had equalised.

Birtley Town and Hebburn Town, who were reduced to nine men at the end because of injuries, drew 0-0.

Colin Iley and James Magowan steered Billingham Synthonia to a 2-0 win at home to Ryton and Crawcrook Albion. Jonathan Wright netted for Heaton Stannington, but Thornaby rallied for a 1-1 draw, Keiran Edwards scoring.

Colin Anderson (og), Nick Green and Gerard Richardson helped Team Northumbria win 3-1 at Northallerton