Northern League: Easington Colliery rocked by two-goal fightback, before ending match with nine men

Lee Kerr of Seaham Red Star (red/white) takes on West Auckland. Picture by Kevin Brady
Lee Kerr of Seaham Red Star (red/white) takes on West Auckland. Picture by Kevin Brady
Have your say

Easington Colliery had two men sent off as their promotion hopes in Division Two suffered a setback as Brandon United hit back from two goals down to secure a 2-2 draw.

Paul Frame’s men had the ideal start, going ahead in the ninth minute when Nathan Renton and Luke Page combined well to set up Jack Pounder, who fired out of the reach of keeper Tom Orton.

Easington dominated the first period but could not add a second goal, but they did double their lead four minutes into the second half as a corner found Peter Jones at the second attempt and he played a clever one-two with Pounder before slamming home from a few yards out.

It looked to be Easington’s day. but the dismissal of Jake Fenton for a bad foul gave Brandon hope.

Kyle Wren got one back for Brandon on 80 minutes as he latched onto a through pass and got clear to beat Kyle Donaldson.

Easington were left shattered when Brandon quickly equalised, with Lewis Martin coolly sending Donaldson the wrong way from the penalty spot after a foul by Aaron Croft.

More drama followed as both sides had a man sent off on 85 minutes. Martin was red-carded for a bad challenge, with Croft sent off for the visitors for a second bookable offence following his reaction to the tackle.

Right on time, Reece Kenney was close to an Easington winner, but his free-kick, from just outside the box, came back off the bar.

Durham City missed the chance to go third after a 2-2 draw at Bedlington Terriers.

The game only got the go-ahead following a late pitch inspection.

Lee Scott fired the Terriers into the lead in the 21st minute, but just seven minutes later Kieran McWaters equalised.

Ollie Hotchkiss’s City side went in front when Bradley Hird fired home past Jak Wells in the Bedlington goal.

However, City were denied the win after Jack Foalle was fouled in the box and Scott converted the spot-kick.

After Kyle Oliver was shown the red card in the 49th minute, the game tightened up and both teams settled for a point.

Esh Winning but up a brave fight, going down 2-1 at leaders Team Northumbria.

Joe Bradley netted for the home side after 44 minutes, when he blasted into the top corner, following a good team move.

It was 2-0 on the hour mark, when Daniel Taggart finished with a low drive past Esh Winning goalkeeper Mark Hodgson.

Esh did score a late consolation, after 84 minutes, when Scott McCardle beat Charley Murphy in the home goal, but the table-toppers denied any chance of a last-gasp leveller.

Willington remain third-bottom, after losing 2-0 at home to promotion-chasing Billingham Synthonia.

Two goals in six second-half minutes sealed the win. A Conor Winter penalty, after 58 minutes, gave Synners the lead, then Willington’s Grant Stephenson scored an own goal in the 64th minute.

Tow Law Town enjoyed an easy 3-0 win at lowly Darlington RA.

Two goals from Dean Thexton, in the 11th and 63rd minutes, and a Liam Dixon header ensured all three points for the Lawyers.

Hebburn Town won 2-1 at Ryton & Crawcrook Albion to move into the promotion places, with Adam Rundle bagging both goals as they secured an eighth successive victory.

Ryton took the lead in the 25th minute when right-back Bellow drove home, the first goal conceded by Steve Hubery in his last six appearances, but two goals early in the second half turned it around.

James Davidson’s cross caused problems and, after Channon North and Adam Rundle had efforts blocked, Rundle cleverly volleyed the ball over his shoulder to level.

Soon after, he netted a second following a corner and a goalmouth scramble.

Alnwick Town, whodrew 2-2 at Thornaby, have named Richie Mitchell as their new manager.

The ex-West Allotment assistant boss replaces Steve Mullen, who stepped down for personal reasons.