Northern League: Determined RCA rally in magnificent style to claim 3-2 victory at high-flying Newton Aycliffe

Seaham Red Star (stripes) battle in their 2-2 weekend draw with Shildon. Picture by Tim Richardson
Seaham Red Star (stripes) battle in their 2-2 weekend draw with Shildon. Picture by Tim Richardson
Have your say

Sunderland RCA hit back sensationally from two goals down to claim a terrific 3-2 win at Newton Aycliffe in Division One on Saturday.

Victory moved Martin Swales’ men back up to ninth place.

RCA were up against it as the high-flying home side took a 2-0 lead, with both goals coming from John Campbell.

The first came in the 35th minute, when he curled a great shot into the top corner past keeper Jordan Harkess. He converted a penalty in the 57th minute to make it 2-0.

RCA, though, showed impressive resilience and regrouped to pull a goal back six minutes later, to reduce the arrears when Stephen Callen raced through and beat Aycliffe keeper James Winter.

A deserved equaliser followed six minutes further on, when Adam McGuinness, who rejoined the club recently, headed home from a corner.

In dramatic fashion, Liam McBryde was sent clear in the 76th minute and he beat keeper Winter, to secure the points in a brilliant comeback.

Seaham Red Star and Shildon played out an entertaining 2-2 draw at the Ferguson Motor Repairs Stadium.

With both teams trying to keep in touch with the top two – North Shields and South Shields – and both have three games in hand, it was an important match.

Red Star went in front after nine minutes, when Lee Hetherington found space in the box and his shot was well saved by goalkeeper Nick Liversedge, but Robbie Bird instinctively followed up the rebound to score.

The lead only lasted 15 minutes as Shildon equalised through Mickey Rae, who collected the ball and volleyed home high into the net.

Striker Paul Connor finished well to put Shildon ahead on 28 minutes, beating keeper Shaun Newbrook in the 28th minute, but Warren Byrne rose well to head home past Liversedge, 10 minutes into the second half, to secure a share of the spoils.

Ryhope CW’s injury-ravaged team went down 1-0 at home to bottom club West Allotment Celtic, and dropped to fifth-bottom spot in the processs

Celtic recorded only their third win of the season when Dale Pearson collected the ball just outside the area and hit a fine shot over goalkeeper Chris Rookes, to find the corner of the net, in the 61st minute.

Consett were in fantastic form when they hammered Chester-le-Street by 9-0, sending the Cestrians to the foot of the league.

The home side were two up in the first four minutes, when Luke Sullivan and Josh Gray scored past keeper Jack Wilson.

Further goals from Jordan Nellis and Danny Craggs made it 4-0, then Craggs scored the best goal of the game, with a 25-yard cracker.

Sullivan and Gray scored their second goals to make it 7-0 at half-time.

Craggs completed his hat-trick with a good second-half header, as did Gray when he slotted home the ninth.

West Auckland moved up to sixth-bottom spot, after they beat Guisborough Town 3-1.

Matthew Moffat fired the visitors in front in the 38th minute, when his first-time shot beat goalkeeper James Dawson.

Paul Blake equalised, but Darren Richardson restored West’s lead and Craig Ruddy’s long-range shot found the top corner, late on, to make the game safe at 3-1.