Northern League: Dazzler Davis kick-starts RCA with hat-trick in thrilling first victory

Have your say

Sunderland RCA celebrated a first win of the season in last night’s eight-goal thriller at West Allotment Celtic.

The Wearsiders, who took just one point from their opening three Division One fixtures, conceded a goal to Dale Pearson with barely a minute on the clock.

A brace of goals from Clayton Davis turned the tables, but, by early in the second half, Pearson was again on target to haul Celtic level at 2-2.

It was then RCA’s turn to go in front with Callum Hope’s strike, only for Ian Lee to make it 3-3 on 55 minutes.

With the clock ticking down, Davis completed his hat-trick for a 4-3 RCA lead and, in added time, Stephen Callan made certain of all three points for Martin Swales’ side.

Shildon are the new leaders and boast the only 100 per cent record.

The Railwaymen have yet to concede a goal after seeing off Guisborough Town 1-0 with a crucial effort from Paul Connor.

Reigning champions Marske United defeated Bishop Auckland 2-0 as Craig Gott bagged both goals, while Morpeth Town, who started the night in pole position, had to settle for a 2-2 draw at Newcastle Benfield.

Ben Sayer and Keith Graydon had them comfortably on top until Paul Brayson threw Benfield a lifeline. Six minutes from time, Brayson converted a penalty for the equaliser.

Debutant Dan Wilson, signed from Dunston UTS, fired North Shields in front at home to Newton Aycliffe.

Just before the interval, Aycliffe’s Stuart Banks was shown a straight red card and a minute later Robins’ skipper Kevin Hughes was given a second yellow, evening up the numbers.

Early in the second period, Paul Garthwaite scored at the second attempt to earn Aycliffe a 1-1 draw.

It’s been a remarkable few days for Birtley Town, who were routed 9-0 by Team Northumbria in Division Two on Saturday.

Last night, they hammered Stokesley SC 9-0 as the goals flowed from Dan Maddison (4), Andrew Clarkson (2), Jak Mitchell, Scott Arnott and Damon Ellis.

Easington Colliery lost 3-2 at Heaton Stannington, whose matchwinners were Jonathan Wright, Brian Dodsworth and Ben Telford.

Luke Page struck twice for the Colliers, who were unable to take advantage when Heaton goalkeeper Shaun Backhouse was sent off when the score was 3-1.

Scott Heslop was Chester-le-Street’s marksman in a 1-1 draw at Willington, with Lewis Milner restoring parity within six minutes of the opener.