Northern League: Birtley blown away as rampant Crook turn the screw

Have your say

Birtley Town remain in the Second Division’s bottom three after being hit with another heavy defeat, at Crook Town, last night.

Dean Sinclair, with a brace, Lewis Turnbull, Callum Johnson and Callum Lough led the Millfield men to an emphatic 5-1 victory. Jack Marshall grabbed Birtley’s only reply.

Despite claiming a point from a 1-1 draw at home to Northallerton Town, Esh Winning remain second from the basement.

Dale Elgie headed the visitors ahead, but, 14 minutes from time, Paul Basey levelled after his penalty had been saved by Matthew Calvert.

Stokesley SC remain firmly rooted to the bottom and have now conceded 46 goals in nine games after leaking four to rampant Brandon United’s Vinny Gash (2), James Ellis and Kyle Wren.

In Division One, Morpeth Town leap-frogged Dunston UTS and Washington into second place with a 2-1 derby victory over Bedlington Terriers.

It was a close call though. After one-time Sunderland reserve-teamer Sean Taylor had given Morpeth the advantage, Stephen Little levelled and there were only 10 minutes remaining when Ben Sayer scored a superb individual goal for the home side’s winner.

Dan Wilson (2), David Coulson, Gary Ormston and James Luccock eased North Shields to a dramatic 5-3 victory at Norton and Stockton Ancients, for whom Thibault Charmey, with a cracking, long-range strike, Matthew Pennal and Jamie Poole (pen) replied. Two late goals sealed the deal for the FA Vase holders.

West Auckland remain bottom following a 4-2 defeat at Newcastle Benfield, where, at one stage, they led 2-1 thanks to efforts from Ross Gardner and Lewis Martin.

West, though, were unable – like so many other sides – to curtail the scoring instincts of Paul Brayson, who rifled all four Benfield goals.

Danny Earl did even better, netting five of Guisborough Town’s seven at home to West Allotment Celtic. Connor Smith added a brace in a 7-1 romp.

David Renyard, Nathan Waterson and Martyn Coleman had Penrith comfortably three goals up at home to Jarrow Roofing, whose only response was a penalty from John Campbell six minutes into stoppage time.