No shock for Morpeth as Moor march onwards

Have your say

MORPETH Town, seventh in Division Two of the STL Northern League, took First Division championship challengers Spennymoor Town to the wire in last night’s Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup Second Round tie at Craik Park, writes Malcolm Pratt.

Gavin Cogdon went past defenders before rolling the ball into the Morpeth net on 25 minutes and after an hour, Gavin Barton doubled the lead from the penalty spot.

The Northumbrians battled back for Shaun Henderson to crash the ball into the net from well outside the penalty area.

The final 10 minutes were frenetic, but Morpeth failed to take the tie into extra time.

Bedlington Terriers trailed by two goals at Second Division Crook Town before emerging 4-2 winners.

Kyle Davis and Richard Hodgson were on target and although Stephen Baptist reduced the deficit in the 16th minute, it was not until the 68th minute that Peter Snowdon levelled.

Late goals from Stephen Richardson and Stuart Elliott guided Terriers into the next round.

Newcastle Benfield comfortably saw off the challenge from Ryton and Crawcrook Albion when Lewis Teesdale, Shaun McAvoy and Brian Dodsworth were the marksmen.

Birtley Town went out at Guisborough Town, whose matchwinners were Liam McPhillips, with a brace and David Onions.

Team Northumbria won an amazing game at Esh Winning where 13 goals were scored.

Two players, Peter Watling and Lee Scott both scored four times as Team won 8-5 following extra time. Darren Kokes (2), Craig Mickle (2) and Craig Coates replied for Esh.

Washington’s tie with Shildon was held up for half an hour when the Newtowners’ Michael Rush was taken to hospital with a leg injury. Wayne Gredziak’s goal earned Shildon their passage into round three.

North Shields went through 4-2 on penalties at home to Darlington RA. Andy Hay and Craig Deighton struck for the Robins, with Graeme Whitehead and Paul Freary replying.

Hebburn Town progressed in the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup with a 3-1 victory at Easington Colliery, whose goal was credited to Stuart Ord.

Dean Walker, Dean Nicholson and Tony Stephenson netted for the visitors.