Muir’s late strike gives Rangers a winning start

Have your say

SILKSWORTH Rangers, who languished near the bottom of the Wearside League for most of last season, made a winning start at Wolviston despite conceding an early lead to Carl Kennedy.

Daryl Tomlinson floated in a free-kick which the visitors’ defence found difficult and Kennedy struck past goalkeeper Adam Don.

Undeterred, Rangers hit back with two second-half goals. David Stevens completed a good move for the equaliser and with almost the last kick of the game, Paul Muir hit the winner.

Sunderland West End aim to build on last season’s impressive fourth-top finish and they too opened with a victory.

Adam McQuillan headed in on 30 minutes before two goals from Michael Wharton in 10 second-half minutes, ended any chance of a comeback by Cleator Moor Celtic.

Richie Jordan had an outstanding game for West End, having a hand in all three goals.

Ashbrooke Belford House went down to Annfield Plain for whom Tommy Clarke scored the only goal in the 25th minute, driving wide of goalkeeper Brett Wilson.

Easington Colliery, back in the competition after one year in the Ebac Northern League, went down to newcomers Richmond Town.

Adam Taylor gave the home side a fortuitous lead and before the interval, Richmond doubled the advantage as Jason Newall converted a penalty which the Colliers were unlucky to concede.

There was no doubting Richmond’s second spot-kick which this time was entrusted to Tom Keegan and he made no mistake, firing past goalkeeper Mattie Barron.

Peterlee Town also suffered defeat to another of the new sides, Harton and Westoe who return to the competition following a few years’ absence.

Stephen Graham was an early marksman and Peterlee were in with a chance until they leaked two goals in the final 10 minutes to James McDermott and Shaun Edwards (pen).

Boldon CA were the highest scorers of the day when they went nap against Darlington Cleveland Bridge who managed three goals in reply courtesy of Michael Richardson, with a brace and Michael Carter.

Adam Sharp, Shaun Heads, Mark Williams and Chris Hamill (2) found the net for the South Tynesiders.

Two goals in the opening 10 minutes by Liam Bayles and Andrew Wilkinson set Jarrow on the road to an easy win over Kirkbymoorside at Perth Green. Chris McDonald completed the scoring 15 minutes from time.

After trailing by four goals to Tom Atkinson (2), Adam Nicholson and Shaun Kell, Coxhoe Athletic could only manage a late consolation from Danny Rowbotham at Stockton Town.

Hartlepool also scored four times in their home fixture with Prudhoe Town with Shaun Ross and Daniel Lockwood each bagging a brace. Rob Smith was Prudhoe’s only scorer.

Redcar Athletic, runners-up to Ryhope CW last time, had to settle for a share of the points at Gateshead Leam Rangers. The best chance fell to Redcar’s James Kesterton but his penalty was saved by Dean Saunders.

Newcomers Seaton Carew began at Willington who took the points with late strikes from Mark Foster and Philip Caley.