Moors are just one point away from title

Have your say

SPENNYMOOR Town need just one point to clinch the Ebac Northern League championship and promotion to the Evo Stik League, while Team Northumbria are relegated following yesterday’s game between the sides at The Brewery Field.

Andrew Johnson gave Jason Ainsley’s side the perfect start when he closed down a clearance and lobbed goalkeeper Andrew Jennison in the 10th minute.

Team, who had conceded 105 goals in 42 games, tightened up and it wasn’t until the 50th minute that the home side doubled the lead.

It was a trade mark 25-yard free kick from Keith Graydon which beat the wall and Jennison on its way into the roof of the net.

Any hopes Team harboured of causing an upset ended after 77 minutes when Dan Taylor was left with a simple tap-in following a good move by Andrew Stephenson.

Ben Sayer cut the deficit with a clinical finish from 18 yards but the Tynesiders never seriously threatened and in the last minute Taylor made it four when he converted a penalty awarded after he had been brought down.

The win moved Spennymoor into pole position ahead of Celtic Nation, the only team in a position to pip them for the title. Team though go down together with Billingham Town and Hebburn Town.

Shildon’s lingering championship hopes ended in a 1-1 draw at Newton Aycliffe who led through Kerry Hedley before Ben Wood restored parity from the spot.

Bishop Auckland were rampant in the local derby with Crook Town at Heritage Park and eight goals flowed from Keiran Megran (2), Danny Brunskill (2), Chris Hodgson, Dan Hawkins, Chris Lawson and Glen Moan.

Billingham Town completed a miserable season losing to neighbours Billingham Synthonia whose marksmen were Matthew Dixon (og), Fred Woodhouse and Michael Sweet.

The Teessiders end firmly at the bottom with only two wins and two draws in 44 games during which they managed only 26 goals and conceded a massive 207.

West Auckland Town, who until recently were in a strong position to challenge for the title, drew for the fifth consecutive time. Warren Byrne looked to have won the game with his 84th-minute strike but two minutes from the end Paul Brayson converted a penalty for Newcastle Benfield.

Whitley Bay will meet Marske United in the final of the Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup after defeating Whitehaven in Cumbria 3-2.

David Dustin gave the hosts an early advantage but the Seahorses then went two goals ahead through Alex Kempster, Paul Chow and Jarrett Rivers.

Lee Woolf threw Whitehaven a lifeline with a superb solo effort to set up an exciting 11 minutes but the Bay held on.

Marske United sprang a big surprise when they defeated Ashington at Woodhorn Lane 4-1. Man-of-the-match Austin Johnston rifled a hat-trick with Chris Magill also on target. Ashington’s only consolation goal was credited to Andrew Johnson.