Miserable return to Whitley Bay for Chandler and City

Have your say

IT wasn’t a successful return for Ian Chandler when he took Durham City to Whitley Bay for last night’s Ebac Northern League First Division game.

Chandler has never played in or managed a team against the Seahorses but his new charges raised his hopes when Denver Morris gave the Citizens an early lead.

Craig Hubbard though quickly levelled and just before the interval Paul Chow, a regular scorer under Chandler’s regime, notched his 250th goal for Whitley.

Early in the second period he was again on target and in added time Chris Reid completed a 4-1 victory.

Sunderland RCA succumbed to champions Spennymoor Town, who reached 100 points for the fourth time in five seasons.

In the early stages, the Wearsiders held their own but then conceded twice in the space of a minute.

Lewis Dodds drove into the bottom corner of the net and almost immediately Gavin Cogden’s effort from the edge of the penalty area took a deflection past goalkeeper Josh Carmichael.

David Lee’s side already faced an uphill struggle and their plight worsened just before the interval when captain Gavin Barton was shown a straight red card.

Ten-man RCA worked hard and it wasn’t until eight minutes from time that Stephen Capper ran onto a through ball and chipped Carmichael for a 3-0 win.

Bishop Auckland defeated Dunston UTS 2-0 at Heritage Park, scoring twice in less than 60 seconds midway through the second period.

When Sean Tarling was brought down, Keiran Megran drove in the penalty and Danny Brunskill converted a Dean Douglas cross.

West Auckland Town, no doubt with an eye on next week’s FA Carlsberg Vase final and playing for the second consecutive night, went down 4-1 at Penrith for whom Steven Rigg scored all four goals. Former Barnsley player Dennis Knight was West’s only marksman.

In Division Two, Washington had the edge on South Shields at Peterlee. A brace of goals from Chris Winn had them comfortable but after Cameron Foster reduced the deficit on 82 minutes, it was all to play for.

In the last minute Mariners’ keeper Simon Parkin was close to an equaliser when he went up for a corner.

H West Auckland play for the third successive night when they visit Consett and they will again be in action against Bishop Auckland on Friday, before taking a week’s rest ahead of the Vase final.