Latimer seals Washington joy

Have your say

WASHINGTON maintained their fine form in the Ebac Northern League Second Division with a 2-0 victory over Whickham last night.

It wasn’t until midway through the second period that the deadlock was broken at the Nissan Sports Complex as Lee Hamilton outpaced the Whickham defence to fire past goalkeeper Scott Cresswell.

There was little to choose between the teams and the result was on a knife edge until player-manager Michael Latimer made certain of all three points for the Newtowners, converting an injury-time penalty awarded for a foul on Dan Young.

Esh Winning were well beaten by Ryton and Crawcrook Albion at Waterhouses. Goalkeeper Mark Bell was left helpless when David Backhouse sent in a terrific shot from 35 yards and early in the second period Paul Blakey doubled Esh’s lead with a simple tap-in.

Paul King then completed a comprehensive 3-0 victory when he also beat Bell in added time.

Chester-le-Street’s fixture at North Shields was called off because of vandalism. The holes in which the goal posts are housed had been filled with cement and despite making strenuous efforts the Robins were unable to bring in temporary structures.

The four Durham Challenge Cup ties did not throw up any surprises, but Billingham Synthonia had to erase a two-goal deficit and needed extra time before seeing off Wearside League opponents Seaton Carew.

Lee Jones and Stuart Dixon (penalty) had Seaton on course for an upset, following their win at Ryhope CW earlier in the competiton, but Synners gained momentum following the introduction of two substitutes.

Danny Newby cut the deficit and Joe Callander levelled to take the tie into additional time when Chay Liddle and Keiran Edwards (pen) steered Synners home.

Gateshead Reserves were too strong for Dunston UTS in the Tyneside derby. Former Chester-le-Street player Nathan Fisher bagged a brace of goals, with Lance McGlen and Glen Wilson also on target for Gateshead. UTS’s only reply was credited to Chris Swailes.

Crook Town succumbed 2-0 to Norton and Stockton Ancients whose matchwinners were Anthony Hume and Richard Storr (penalty), while Shildon defeated Consett 2-1 with strikes from Billy Greulich-Smith and Robbie Dale (penalty) before Andrew Cuthbertson claimed a late reply for the Steelmen.