Late-season form gives Silksworth a boost

Have your say

SILKSWORTH Rangers will end bottom of the Wearside League but they’ve recently hit a purple patch which could augur well for next season.

Saturday’s emphatic 3-0 victory over in-form Seaton Carew was their third in four games, following victories over Prudhoe Town and Ashbrooke Belford House.

Glen Hargreaves gave Mark McGinley’s side a dream start, driving low into the net from 18 yards after just five minutes.

A defensive blunder 18 minutes later enabled Mansur Magari to fire into an empty net and nine minutes before the final whistle, Rob Hall delivered a rising drive from the edge of the penalty area which gave Seaton goalkeeper Gary Fleetham no chance.

Annfield Plain have been second from the basement for several weeks but they could finish with a higher rating after they too claimed all three points, at Hartlepool.

Joe Johnson pounced on a rebound and beat Pool’s goalkeeper Russ Blenkinsop and 10 minutes into the second half, Ross Nicholson was also on target with a fine individual effort.

Adam Johnson threw Pools a lifeline on 80 minutes but soon afterwards, Scott Heslop volleyed home to restore Annfield’s two-goals cushion.

Peterlee Town completed their programme with a win at third-from-basement Coxhoe Athletic and will finish in the top half of the table.

Liam Dunn headed in from a corner and the Newtowners held the lead for 50 minutes before John Cook levelled in a goalmouth scramble.

With 17 minutes left on the clock, a long ball found the home defence culpable and Anth Rogerson took advantage to fire in the winner wide of goalkeeper Anth Lowerson.

Sunderland West End remain fifth-top despite losing to fourth-placed Cleator Moor Celtic by the odd goal in three.

Anthony Stubbs hooked the ball past Celtic goalkeeper Craig Devine but before the interval the Cumbrians were ahead courtesy of Bradley Rooney and Leight Dunn.

Ashbrooke Belford House succumbed to Redcar Athletic who are finishing the season with a flourish and are now seventh top. Alex Anderson prodded the ball into the net on 23 minutes and after Ashbrooke had Mark Egglestone sent off in the 79th minute, Redcar wrapped up the points with a penalty by Roy Hunter.

The two-horse race for the championship took another turn when Stockton Town defeated Willington in the match of the day.

Rhys Connelly scored the only goal and after Willington had goalkeeper David Moffat sent off there was no way back and they are now just a point ahead of Stockton, who have a game in hand.

H The Wearside League defeated the Lancashire Amateur League 6-3 in the FA Inter League competition game played at Boldon CA where Callum Holbrook (2), David Keighley (2), Brett Gillatt and Scott Ryan were on target for the Wearsiders.

H Brandon United end fifth from bottom in the Ebac Northern League Second Division following a 4-0 defeat at Whitehaven on Saturday.

The Division Two programme is completed but there are st ill a number of fixtures to be played in the First Division and the season is not scheduled to finish until next Monday.