Late goals kill off RCA challenge

Have your say

ONLY two teams in the Ebac Northern League First Division have conceded more goals than Sunderland RCA after they leaked five to Whitley Bay at Hillheads last night.

It wasn’t until the last couple of minutes though that the Wearsiders’ hopes of saving the game ended.

For most of the 90 minutes they held their own and were in with a chance of taking at least a point until Whitley struck twice at the end.

Paul Chow converted a 10th-minute penalty, awarded for a foul on Jarrod Rivers and the home side doubled the lead seven minutes later as Rivers took advantage of a defensive mistake.

Just before the interval, however, Callum Hassan reduced the deficit when he pounced on a rebound after Gavin Barton’s shot had been parried by goalkeeper Johnny Hall.

Early in the second period Brian Smith restored Whitley’s two-goals cushion, heading in a Paul Antony corner but within a minute RCA were back again for Kyle Fryett to make it 3-2.

It was anyone’s game in the last 20 minutes but on 89 minutes Chow fired home and in added time he completed his hat-trick.

Spennymoor Town moved to the top of the table after a 1-0 win against second-bottom Hebburn Town. Keith Graydon curled home a free-kick for the only goal.

Bishop Auckland and Durham City fought out a goalless draw at Heritage Park where the best chance of the night fell to City’s Scott Fenwick. He broke clear and drove past the advancing Scott Pocklington only to see his effort hit the woodwork.

Jarrow Roofing missed the chance to go seventh top in Division Two when they conceded a stoppage-time equaliser at Darlington RA, where they twice led by two goals.

Liam McBryde bagged a brace with Keiran McDonald Roofing’s other marksman while Steve Allison (2) and Stephen Butterworth, with a 91st-minute strike, replied for the home side.

Birtley Town gave unbeaten West Auckland Town a good run before going out of the Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup.

West raced into a two-goals lead courtesy of Stuart Banks and Paul Garthwaite within the first seven minutes but midway during the opening half Damon Reaks threw Birtley a lifeline. Early in the second half, however, Jonathan Wright fired past goalkeeper Jordan Harkess and Birtley were unable to get back into the tie.

Washington, who prop up the Second Division, edged Whickham in the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup.

Anthony Ross’s drive took a deflection past Whickham goalkeeper John Mordey but when his opposite number Martin Jackson could only parry a Jack Molding free-kick, Tony Thirkell fired in the rebound.

There was only a minute left on the clock as Nathan Johnson struck Washington’s winner.

Tow Law made it eight goals in two games against Stokesley SC. After winning 5-0 at the weekend, they reached the next round with goals by Anth Lee, Lewis Wing and Jason Brauzauskas.