Late goals give Ashington victory at Durham City

Have your say

DURHAM City conceded two goals in the last couple of minutes as they went down 3-2 to Ashington in the Ebac Northern League First Division game at New Ferens Park last night.

The Colliers went ahead on 17 minutes when the home defence failed to clear a low left-wing cross and Andrew Johnson drove the ball in past goalkeeper Gareth Young.

City’s only chance in the first half came just before the interval when Max Stoker was clear on goal but keeper Karl Dryden made a good block.

City improved and midway through the second period Paul Dixon was denied an equaliser by Dryden but on 77 minutes Dixon converted a good move involving Craig Ellison and Nick Allen.

Both sides pressed for the winner and it was Ashington who emerged victors.

In the 88th minute, Glen Taylor fired into the bottom of the net from outside the penalty area and in the final minute Marc Walton wrapped up the points for the Northumbrians. There was still time though for Ollie Hotchkiss to convert a 92nd-minute penalty.

Sunderland RCA went down by the odd goal in three at Celtic Nation, who went in front on nine minutes as Stephen Archibald delivered a good finish from 10 yards.

Right on the stroke of half-time, Nick Kane volleyed wide of Celtic goalkeeper Dan Lowson but 16 minutes from the end, Stephen Skinner curled in an excellent shot from 18 yards.

Newcastle Benfield defeated South Shields for the second time in a week, thanks to goals from Gary Day and Stephen Young.

Hebburn Town suffered their ninth defeat on the bounce as they lost 3-0 to West Auckland Town. Mattie Moffat rifled all three goals in the opening half.

Billingham Synthonia and Consett shared the points after goals from Shane Liddle and Michael Mackay respectively.

Whitley Bay hit relegation-threatened Billingham Town for six at Hillheads.

It was 4-0 within 38 minutes after goals from Chris Fawcett, James Fairley, Paul Robertson and Paul Chow.

Chow and Fairley both scored again in the second half.

In Division Two, an only goal from Scott Donaldson, who headed in a corner after 32 minutes, proved sufficient for Chester-le -Street against Thornaby. Thornaby were another side who lost their goalkeeper through injury with Adam Green taking over from Mick Farrell as early as the 18th minute.

Alnwick Town and Brandon United shared the points in a bottom-of-the-table clash. At one stage Brandon led with a brace from Steve Moody and after Brian Murray reduced the deficit on 79 minutes, he claimed a dramatic equaliser in the 95th minute.

Darlington RA comfortably reached the Third Round of the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup defeating Whickham with strikes from Stephen Allison (2), James Muir (pen) and Martin Butterworth. Scott Swanson was the Glebemen’s only scorer.