Late agony for Seaham Red Star

Have your say

DESPITE scoring four times away from home, Seaham Red Star lost a nine-goal thriller at Ryton and Crawcrook Albion in the STL Northern League Second Division last night.

Red Star twice led and also had a hat-trick hero in Dan Corbett, who opened the scoring by heading home Kevin Gordon’s cross after 20 minutes.

Mark Fitzpatrick’s wind-assisted drive flew past goalkeeper Ryan Graham for the equaliser but just before the interval Richard Goodman restored the advantage to Red Star with a close-range finish.

It got better for the visitors on 48 minutes when Corbett headed in his second goal to put his side 3-1 in front.

Ryan Arnott cut Ryton’s deficit, scoring after being on the field for just two minutes and 15 minutes from time, Fitzpatrick restored parity.

A minute later, he completed his hat-trick but Seaham battled back and Corbett did likewise to level the score at 4-4.

In the last minute, the referee awarded a penalty for a foul on Fitzpatrick and Mark Nichols fired past Graham to deny Red Star a point.

Washington more than held their own in the first half against promotion candidates Morpeth Town at Craik Park but collapsed in the second period.

Christopher Lunn rounded goalkeeper Chris Bannon for an early strike only for Chris Tait to level before the interval.

Morpeth goalkeeper Stephen Mundy cleared upfield and Michael Latimer hit the ball from the halfway line. It beat the keeper and bounced off the crossbar for Tait to follow up.

This proved to be the Newtowners’ only success and in the second half Morpeth coasted to a 5-1 victory as four goals flowed from David Dormand (pen), Ashley McAlpine (pen), Andrew Keenan and Daniel Young.

Morpeth Town moved up to fourth but two of the other promotion-chasing sides both conceded points.

Second-placed Darlington RA were held to a draw by Whitehaven, who claimed a point with a last-minute penalty from Malcolm Holliday.

Stephen Allinson was an early scorer for RA and after Stuart Shaw levelled, the Cumbrians had Kevin Law sent off, leaving them to play the last 24 minutes with ten men. When Graeme Whitehead converted an 87th-minute spot kick, a crucial victory for RA looked the likely outcome but the drama was not over and the visitors were also awarded a penalty in the 90th minute.

After losing at the weekend, North Shields went down to Crook Town and slipped to sixth place.

Debutant Andrew Rowntree and Dean Holmes (pen) were their scorers with Richard Hodgson (2), John Toft and Robbie Bird steering Crook to a 4-2 win.