Last-gasp Maxwell header seals derby point for Horden

Have your say

HORDEN CW twice came from behind to gain a point with a last-minute equaliser at Hartlepool in the Wearside League.

The home side looked set for a comfortable win when Luke Larkin curled the ball into the top corner of the net from 20 yards and Paul Donaghey produced an equally clinical finish from the edge of the penalty area.

But the Colliers hit back with two goals in as many minutes mid-way through the second period.

Robert Huntley buried a shot into the bottom corner of the goal and Jonathan Payne headed in a free-kick.

Pool, though, regained the initiative with a fine solo effort by James Paylor but with virtually the last kick of the game Bill Maxwell was on target with a back post header.

Silksworth CW climbed into the top half of the table and consigned Leam Rangers to the basement when they claimed all three points with a 93rd-minute winner.

Following a goalless first half, Glen Hargrave headed the Colliers in front before Dale Bell levelled with a curling shot past goalkeeper Joe Clayton 11 minutes from the end.

With time running out, a draw looked the likely result but in a dramatic finale, Silksworth clinched victory when Alex Kempster took advantage of a poor clearance to fire past goalkeeper Phil Creed.

Ashbrooke Belford House survived a late penalty to defeat Annfield Plain by the odd goal in five.

Scot Goldsmith-Scott was an early marksman for the home side but a couple of goals from Michael Melmore put the Wearsiders ahead.

Goldsmith-Scott restored parity and after Stuart Burton made it 3-2 in Ashbrooke’s favour, the Plain were awarded a spot-kick which Scott Heslop fired against the woodwork.

Stockton Town nudged Ryhope CW, who were without a fixture, from the top of the table, but it was a near thing at Harton and Westoe, who twice led.

Just before the interval, John Murray struck and after Stephen Roberts levelled, Harton went in front for a second time with a superb solo effort from Finbar Lynch.

Roberts again struck and, five minutes from the end, he completed a hat-trick. The win puts Stockton three points ahead of Ryhope, who have a game in hand.

Coxhoe Athletic moved off the bottom with an emphatic 5-1 win over Prudhoe Town, who were second best for most of the game.

Vinny Gash and Jonathan Hornsby (2) swept the home side into a three-goal lead and although Stephen Foster reduced Prudhoe’s deficit, they ended well beaten as further goals came from Ben Haddock and Hornsby.

Liam Bayles scored both Jarrow goals in his side’s victory at Wolviston, for whom Stephen Hodgson replied to set up a close finish, but the South Tynesiders held on.

H A Wearside League representative side defeated the Cheshire League at Crewe in the FA Inter-League Cup, when Gary Turton scored the only goal on the hour mark.

The Wearsiders missed numerous chances and there was a tense finale before they secured their passage into the next round.