Larkin penalty sends Sunderland RCA into next round

Have your say

A battling performance earned Sunderland RCA their place in the Second Round of the Durham Challenge Cup with a thrilling win at Dunston UTS last night.

Twice behind, the Wearsiders edged a 3-2 victory scoring twice in the late stages.

Dunston made a dream start, with Gary Shaw producing a terrific left-foot shot on seven minutes which gave goalkeeper James Talbot no chance.

It wasn’t until just before the interval that Cliff Byrne headed home at the near post for RCA’s first equaliser.

Midway through the second period Stephen Richardson rounded off a great flowing move to restore the advantage to the home side, but Martin Swales’ team’s never-say-die attitude eventually saw them home.

Stephen Callen’s 72nd-minute drive went in off a post and three minutes later Colin Larkin confidently beat goalkeeper Liam Connell from the penalty spot.

Washington were much too strong for Tow Law Town and coasted to a 4-0 victory after taking a three-goals lead inside the opening 37 minutes.

Mark Davison, with a brace and Conor Okus beat Lawyers’ goalkeeper Tom Orton and just past the hour mark, David Tait was also on target.

Chester-le-Street were within a minute of taking their tie with South Shields at Chester Moor Park into extra time.

Scott Heslop drove past Mariners’ goalkeeper Gary Young, but immediately on resuming David Foley equalised. Shields introduced Julio Arca as a substitute, but it was Daryl Hall who scrambled in the winner on 89 minutes.

Andrew Johnson swept Bishop Auckland into Round Two at the expense of Norton and Stockton Ancients.

The scoring predator notched all four goals and the Teessiders didn’t manage to reply.

Durham City edged Ryhope CW 2-0, but the Wearsiders had chances to win.

Josh Home Jackson twice went near before the Citizens were awarded a 24th-minute penalty for a foul on Chris Wallace and James Fairley made no mistake from the spot.

Only a superb save by City goalkeeper Tom Flynn denied Nathan O’Neil’s header, but Ryhope’s hopes wilted on 77 minutes with Fairley completing an excellent move.

Seaham Red Star succumbed to Whickham, who are fifth from bottom in the Ebac Northern League Second Division.

The Tynesiders were the under-dogs, but won 2-1 with a late strike from Callum Broadhead. Ross Peareth gave them a 12th-minute advantage, but within four minutes Liam McBryde tapped in Red Star’s equaliser.

Goals by Danny Frost (2), Ross Morrow (2) and James Risbrough swept Spennymoor Town to a 5-1 win at home to Billingham Synthonia whose reply was credited to Macaulay Longstaff.

Morpeth Town stretched their lead at the top of the ENL First Division to five points following an eight-goals thriller at Whitley Bay, watched by a crowd of 384.

By half-time the Northumbrians were coasting the game, five goals to the good through Luke Carr (2), Michael Chilton (2) and Jordan Fry.

Whitley though were a different team in the second period. They managed three strikes from Liam Hudson, Adam Shanks and Stuart Bramley but the leaders emerged 5-3 victors.

Goals by Jamie Owens (2) and Austin Johnston earned Marske United a 3-0 win over bottom side Bedlington Terriers. The win lifted Marske – the reigning champions – into third place behind Shildon.