John Coomber’s double keeps Sunderland West End on the up

Have your say

SUNDERLAND West End are very unlikely to win the Wearside League championship, but their bandwagon rolled on at Annfield Plain.

A brace by John Coomber and a single from Jamie Fryett had them comfortably in front by half-time.

Although Warren Brown reduced the deficit, the Wearsiders were never troubled and are now seventh.

Redcar Athletic extended their lead to five points, but second-placed Ryhope CW, on cup duty, have three games in hand.

Billy Millington (2) and James Kesterton were match-winners for the Seasiders against Wolviston, whose only reply was a Ryan Hebb penalty.

Stockton Town edged Jarrow by the odd goal in five to cement third place.

Kallum Hannah (2) and Chris Stockton were the marksmen, with Grant Pressling and Andrew Wilkins responding.

Hartlepool failed to convert two spot kicks at Peterlee Town and paid the penalty.

Philip Robson, Peter Crawford and Ian Davey (og) gave recently-appointed manager Paul Frame his first win.

Daniel Ward struck twice for Pools, for whom both James Myers and Dale Campion were unable to score from the spot.

Ashbrooke Belford House led for more than an hour through Lee Andrews before conceding a stoppage-time equaliser to Prudhoe Town’s Andrew Clarkson.

Bottom-of-the-table Coxhoe Athletic took top-six side Darlington Cleveland Bridge to the wire before losing to an only goal by Phil Kaley.

Coxhoe’s Dan Petts had a first-half penalty saved by Michael Thraves.

After conceding five goals to Boldon CA in the opening-day fixture, Gateshead Leam Rangers gained revenge.

Anthony Brewis, Leon Kane and Liam Barnett were the matchwinners, with David Hopper replying for the South Tynesiders.

An unfortunate Wayne Dobinson own goal in the first minute had Willington chasing the game at Kirkbymoorside, who wrapped up the points with a second-half strike from Rob McDirmid.

H Ryhope CW successfully saw off a strong challenge from Cleator Moor Celtic in the Wearside League Cup.

A tremendous 30-yard shot from Ryan Hall, which gave goalkeeper Kyle Donaldson no chance, had Martin Swales’ side on the back foot and it was not until the second half that John Butler headed in the equaliser.

Ryhope’s winner came as Liam Cox scored when his corner kick eluded everyone, including goalkeeper Craig Devine.