Horden put up a fight but lose out in nine-goal thriller

Have your say

HORDEN CW were involved in a thrill-a-minute nine-goal Durham Challenge Cup Preliminary Round tie but it was Gateshead Leam Rangers who reached the next stage.

The Colliers made a dream start, scoring twice in the early stages through Rhys Brymer and Chris Tarn.

Before the interval, Anthony Hubbard reduced Leam’s deficit and early in the second period Anthony Thompson levelled.

Hubbard then fired the Tynesiders in front only for Michael Kane to equalise at 3-3.

Leon Kane and Dale Bell then gave Leam the cushion of a two-goal advantage but when James Huntley converted a late penalty, Horden were in with a chance – but the visitors did hold on to their narrow lead.

Silksworth CW went out at Annfield Plain where Simon Heppinstall struck from outside the penalty area on 20 minutes.

Before the break, Lee Mold levelled for the Plain with an effort from all of 30 yards and early in the second period Scott Heslop headed in what proved to be the winning goal.

Despite scoring first when Michael Patterson’s free kick took a deflection off the wall, Easington Colliery were unable to halt Stockton Town’s magnificent start to the season. The Teessiders have won all 12 Wearside League games to open up a five-points lead at the top of the table.

Max Craggs levelled but it was Chris Stockton who took the man-of-the-match award with a hat-trick. Stockton had the chance to make it five but Kallum Hannah fired wide from the penalty spot.

Ryhope CW remain second but for once they were unable to produce the scoring form which had earned them 49 goals in the previous 10 games.

Just one goal proved sufficient at Redcar Athletic where John Butler was onto the ball in a flash and struck a fine effort from 20 yards past debutant goalkeeper Matthew Berry.

Redcar were reduced to 10 men after only 17 minute when Liam Wood brought down Butler and was adjudged to be the last defender.

Ashbrooke Belford House, with only one win in 10 attempts, had to settle for a point against Prudhoe Town at Silksworth. Steve Foster fired the visitors in front and after Ashbrooke’s Stephen Bogie failed with a penalty, Stephen Callan levelled 10 minutes from time.

Sunderland West End also finished 1-1 with Seaton Carew for whom Craig Hutchinson netted on 75 minutes. Two minutes later Adam McQuillan beat Seaton goalkeeper Gary Fleetham with a free kick from outside the box.

Richmond Town won a nine-goal thriller at Boldon CA who looked to be on their way to a heavy defeat when they conceded three goals to Lee Darville (2) and Scott Ryan.

Shaun Carroll reduced the deficit but Ben Darville restored Richmond’s three-goal cushion.

Boldon mounted a second-half rally and cut the gap to a single goal following strikes by Alex Chapman and Carroll (pen) but their hopes ended when Kalumn Holbrook and Ben Darville struck in the last five minutes.