Horden hit a fab four

Have your say

HORDEN CW can at last see light at the end of the tunnel after their emphatic victory over Ryton and Crawcrook Albion lifted them out of the bottom two in the STL Northern League Second Division.

Bobby Orton’s side went ahead just before the interval as Shaun Ryder’s free-kick was scrambled into the net by Aaron Ramsbottom.

Ryton, who are also fighting against the drop, levelled with a 50th minute penalty by Mark Eccles, but from then on, the Colliers took control.

Another well-directed free-kick from Ryder was fired home by Kevin Price, who headed in at the back post soon afterwards.

Ryder, the provider for two of his side’s first three goals, then added his name to the scoresheet when he volleyed past goalkeeper Mark Fish three minutes from time.

The Colliers are now third from the basement, with Easington Colliery still at the bottom after losing by the odd goal in three at Alnwick Town.

Nevertheless, they will be encouraged by their performance.

Simon Todd’s goal had them in front for an hour, but after Ben Keenan equalised, Easington’s battling display went unrewarded when they conceded an 89th-minute winner to Paul Blakey.

Seaham Red Star slipped to second-from-bottom following a heavy defeat at home to Gillford Park.

Michael Reid, with a brace and David Wallace had the Cumbrians three goals up before Kevin Gordon threw the home side a lifeline.

It was temporary respite, however, and the visitors went nap with two further strikes from Dean Douglas. Near the end, Gordon scored a second consolation for Red Star.

Washington stay fourth-from-bottom after losing to Crook Town.

Ritchie Hodgson (2) and Kyle Davis took advantage and although the Newtowners improved considerably, their only success came with Lee Hamilton’s goal on the hour.

Chester-le-Street were well beaten by leaders Team Northumbria, who are now 10 points ahead of North Shields, whose game was called off.

Lee Scott produced a man-of-the-match performance which earned him a hat-trick, while Peter Watling and Nicky Deverdics also beat goalkeeper Chris Rookes.

The Cestrians’ only reply came in the 89th minute from Scott Swanson.

Brandon United were another side to concede five goals when Kevin Connolly (3), Malcolm Holliday and Leigh Dunn swept Whitehaven to victory.

An only goal by James Evison after half an hour proved sufficient for Darlington RA, who defeated Northallerton Town to move into third.

Only three games went ahead in Division One and Whitley Bay’s win over Consett knocked Sunderland RCA off the top of the table.

The Seahorses were pressed hard, clinching three vital points with a goal from Paul Robinson.

Bishop Auckland moved into the top half of the table when Daniel Hawkins was the only scorer at Bedlington Terriers, while Billingham Synthonia shared the points in an entertaining goalless draw at Central Avenue.