Hill give Murton a reality check after Trophy high

Have your say

MURTON came down to earth following their Mark Blake Memorial Trophy final victory, losing 2-1 at home to high-flying Horsley Hill.

But they showed their grit by scrapping hard to claim a 2-2 draw against third-top Wallsend Town on Monday.

Hayden Pace notched for Murton against Horsley, but a clinical double from Levi Collins earned the South Tynesiders all three points.

In their midweek match, Brad Staunch and Anthony Cowie came up trumps for Murton, who rescued a point in the final minute, while Derek Graham and Connor Brown responded.

Sherburn Village WMC eased to a 2-0 triumph at Birtley, with Karl Hutchinson and Scott Arnott scoring.

Bottom club Brandon United Reserves were overwhelmed 11-1 at Wallsend Town, for whom prolific marksman Derek Graham hit four goals.

Connor Brown contributed a hat-trick, with Chris Garwood, Connor Dixon, Gavin Jones and Paul Bell also netted. Jonathan Ord hit Brandon’s consolation.

On Monday, title favourites Coundon and Leeholme moved closer to the championship thanks to a convincing 5-0 triumph at Shildon Reserves.

Two-goal Connor Lowes, Liam Whitworth, Mathew Allison and Mark Wood struck.

James Fawcett struck in vain for Brandon United Reserves in a 2-1 loss to Hartlepool Reserves, with Carl O’Sullivan hitting both goals for Pool.

Hartlepool Reserves lost 5-1 at Whitehill on Wednesday, as doubles from Craig Mickle and Thomas Wray were backed by an Aaron Wright strike.

Horsley Hill moved top thanks to a 3-0 victory at Bishop Auckland Reserves. Levi Collins, Adam Sharp and Adam Bell notched for the South Shields side.

Wallsend Town eased home 7-1 at Birtley, with Paul Bell’s four goals leading the way, backed by Chris Garwood, Gavin Jones and Derek Graham.

Coundon look good for the title despite sitting third in the table, as they have five games in hand on new leaders Horsley Hill and trail by just a point, while having two extra games to play in comparison to second-top Wallsend Town, who are only ahead of the unbeaten favourites on goal difference.

Coundon and Leeholme cruised into the final of the Washington Aged Peoples Trophy as Bishop Auckland Reserves missed out in a second semi-final this term.

Lewis Dunn struck for Bishops, but Kurt Matthews inspired Coundon, firing a hat-trick, supported by Darren Simpson’s double and an effort from Ben Collinson.