Goal-hungry Ryhope smash Washington for six

Have your say

RYHOPE CW became the first of the 46 clubs to rack up 50 goals when they hit Washington for six in Saturday’s EBAC Northern League Second Division game at the Nissan Sports Centre.

And once again it was ace marksmen Chris Winn who stole the show with a memorable man-of-the-match performance.

He rifled five goals with Nathan O’Neill adding to the woes of the Newtowners from the penalty spot.

Martin Swales’ team have now scored 54 times in only 12 games and lead the table by five points. Just as significant is the fact they have a 10-point cushion in the promotion race.

Seaham Red Star haven’t been nearly as successful but have still made great strides and are now in the top half of the table after easily seeing off Brandon United.

A first-half strike from Craig Malley was followed by a Dean Patton brace and one from Michael McEwan.

Birtley Town are also on the rise. Despite conceding to Thornaby’s Charlie Teasdale, they romped home thanks to John Martin, Craig Marron and Luke Wilson (2).

Chester-le-Street went down to Jarrow Roofing for whom Darren Reay scored the only goal late in the game and Horden CW succumbed to promotion hopefuls Darlington RA.

Steve Allison was the match-winner, scoring all three RA goals. After going two goals behind, the Colliers’ hopes were raised when Darren Atkinson netted, but Allison had the last word.

Northallerton Town are the nearest challengers to Ryhope CW’s leadership and they kept up the pressure with victory at Stokesley SC, where Marcus Laing and Colin Anderson found the net.

Robert Nolan and Ben Richardson were North Shields’ marksmen at Esh Winning, who managed just one reply from Stephen Oakley.

Fortunes ebbed and flowed before Crook Town just edged Alnwick Town by the odd goal in five. Kyle Davis bagged a brace and Warren Byrne struck a last-minute winner with Johnny Colley and Daniel Thompson responding for Alnwick.

Durham City’s young side never fully recovered after leaking two goals in the opening 18 minutes of their First Division game with Norton and Stockton Ancients at New Ferens Park.

Anthony Hume and Liam Woodhouse scored and although Gary Shaw reduced the arrears a minute into the second half, Dickie Ord’s team failed to level.

Sunderland RCA are up to fourth top following victory over Marske United, who looked out of the game when Aristote Guerin-Lokonga (2) and Gavin Barton had their side well in front.

Two second-half goals in the space of five minutes from David Onions and Leon Carling threw the outcome wide open, but Neil Hixon’s side held on,

Spennymoor Town are second and just cannot put a foot wrong. Eight games have yielded maximum points and amazingly they have yet to concede a goal.

Gavin Cogdon (2), Wayne Phillips and Mark Davison were all on target in a comfortable win at South Shields.

Darlington 1883 continue to lead the field and they made it 10 wins in 11 games, defeating Newcastle Benfield with a five-goal romp.

Former Durham City player Amar Purewal struck twice with Leon Scott, Joe Tait and Steve Johnson also on the mark. Gary Brown (og) and Sam Norris replied.

Bedlington Terriers are another side bang in form, as Team Northumbria found to their cost.

Paul Brayson (2), Craig Baxter, Stephen Bowey and Lawrence McKenna swept Terriers’ to an emphatic win and into third place.

Fifth-top West Auckland slipped up in the championship race when they managed only one point at Whitley Bay.

It could have been worse since the Seahorses led through Ashley Davis and Chris Reid until late in the game when Dan Hindmarsh and Elliot Gardner rescued a point.