Gary Shields clinches thrilling win for Sunderland RCA in the STL Northern League

Have your say

SUNDERLAND RCA completed their season with a thrilling victory over Stokesley at Meadow Park on Saturday.

David Wells scored before Carl Beasley equalised from the penalty spot.

Keith Graydon’s cross found Beasley and after Lev Yalcin restored parity, Gary Shields grabbed an 87th-minute winner.

Jarrow Roofing will stay up after they beat Esh Winning with an 85th-minute goal from Michael Coghlan.

Billingham Town also won after a goal from Michael Arthur proved sufficient to beat Shildon.

West Allotment Celtic, defeated on Good Friday, are relegated, along with Ryton and Esh Winning.

Spennymoor Town lost at West Auckland Town. Danny Hindmarsh gave West Auckland the lead and after Chris Lawther levelled, the home side clinched a winner by Ian Maddison.

Newcastle Benfield lost to Ashington, whose marksmen were Philip Bell (2) and Darren Lough.

Consett maintained their runners-up hopes with victory at South Shields, thanks to goals by Lewis Teasdale and Marc Walton.

In Division Two, Horden CW finish third from bottom and will not need to apply for re-election.

Brian Honour’s side lost to Whickham, whose match-winners were Andrew Snaith and Graeme King. Scott Jackson replied for the Colliers.

Washington, with one game to play, are a place in front of Horden.

The Newtowners suffered an eight-goal rout at Guisborough Town, who will join Newton Aycliffe in Division One next season.

After Tom Portas and David Onions gave Guisborough a two-goals lead, Chris I’Anson rifled the next four goals. Washington conceded further goals to Ian Clarke and Lee Bythway.

John Sherlock was the visitors’ only marksman.

Seaham Red Star shared the points with Brandon United, who scored through Tim Bowman and Tony Redman after Willie Crew and Johnny Monaghan had given the Reds a two-goals lead.

Chester-le-Street won a five-goal thriller with Team Northumbria.

Mark Davison (2) and Craig Marron had their side in front, but when Marron was sent off, Team’s Mark Fenwick scored twice.

North Shields lost to Hebburn Town, for whom Garry McCartney (2), Dean Nicholson and Tony Stephenson struck after Femi Akinbolu had given the Robins the lead.