Four see red in Horden KO

Oldest derby
Oldest derby
Have your say

HORDEN CW ended their Monkwearmouth Charity Cup tie at Hartlepool with only seven players on the pitch.

Two were sent off almost simultaneously just before the hour mark, a third soon followed and, in the last minute, a fourth was given his marching orders.

There was no hint of the drama which was to unfold when the Colliers went in 2-1 ahead at the interval, thanks to goals from Mark Brischuk and Martin Fowler. Alan Baird had levelled for Pools.

In the 57th minute, however, the home side were awarded a penalty when Dan Flounders was adjudged to have handled on the line, despite having his hands down by his knees and claiming the ball had hit his knees, and was sent off.

Callum Sweeney converted the spot-kick to level matters and immediately goalkeeper Ethan Anderson was red-carded after pushing the goalscorer as he celebrated.

Ethan Payne was dismissed soon after, reducing Horden to eight men and, not surprisingly, Pools took advantage and went in front for the first time through Jamie Davis.

With only a minute left on the clock, John Pyle handled and was given a second yellow card before Carl O’Sullivan drove home the resulting penalty to make the final score 4-2.

Spennymoor Town Reserves comfortably saw off the challenge from lowly Annfield Plain 4-2, although the hosts did manage a couple of goals from Carl Malpass and Warren Brown. Ross Morrow rifled a hat-trick to inspire Moors, with Gavin Brown bagging a brace.

Redcar Athletic extended their 100 per cent away record when they thumped Prudhoe Town 7-1 with hat-tricks from Alex Anderson and Adam Preston, with Lance Skelton also netting. Connor Powell claimed a consolation for Prudhoe.

In the Sunderland Shipowners’ Cup, Ashbrooke Belford House roared into a four-goal interval lead, courtesy of Stephen Bogie (2), Callum Hodgson and David Stephens against visitors Whitehaven.

Although Whitehaven reduced the deficit with two strikes from David Connolly, Ashbrooke went 5-2 up thanks to Martin Deacon before Bradley Dryden hit a third goal for the Cumbrians in injury time.

Liam Clark (2), Shaun Carroll and Chris Frayton eased Boldon CA to an exciting 4-3 win over Jarrow, for whom Andrew Barclay (2) and Charlie Ravy replied.

Seaton Carew twice came from behind to defeat Wolviston 3-2.

David Johnson and Ryan Hebb (penalty) struck for the hosts, with Luke Naylor, Mark Bell and Terry Wilkinson replying.