Four-goal Durham blitz is too much for Marske

Have your say

DURHAM City moved into sixth position in the Ebac Northern League First Division with a 4-1 romp over Marske United at New Ferens Park last night.

The result was effectively settled within 35 minutes, by which time the Citizens had built up a four-goal lead.

They went ahead on 23 minutes as Scott Fenwick beat goalkeeper Robert Dean with a low shot and six minutes later Denver Morris volleyed the ball into the net after Dean’s attempted headed clearance first fell to him.

Worse was to follow for the Seasiders and on 33 minutes Morris curled a beautiful shot into the top left-hand corner of the net.

There was no stopping City at this stage and they made it four goals in an exhilarating 12-minute spell when Ollie Hotchkiss crossed from the left, Stephen Turnbull headed back and Craig Ellison made no mistake from six yards.

Although Marske reduced the deficit on 49 minutes when Josh McDonald fired past Lewis Brass after John Alexander’s shot had been blocked, the visitors never seriously threatened to make inroads into City’s sizeable three-goal lead.

On Saturday, Hebburn Town upset the form book big style when they won for the first time and inflicted an initial defeat on West Auckland Town but there was no repeat of the giant-killing act when the sides again met in the reverse fixture.

The South Tynesiders, though, held their own until the 50th minute when Paul Garthwaite beat Gary Rogers at the near post.

Hebburn battled hard but their hopes dimmed 13 minutes from time when Warren Byrne delivered a clinical finish from the edge of the penalty area.

Celtic Nation moved to the top of the table with a 5-1 blitz of Billingham Synthonia at Central Avenue.

Synners faced an unenviable challenge when they conceded three goals to Paul Johnson, Michael Rae and Matthew Grieve within the opening 35 minutes.

Michael Sweet replied for the Teessiders on 53 minutes but the Cumbrians finished strongly and went nap with goals in the final 15 minutes from Johnson and Jonathan Allen.

Ryton and Crawcrook Albion prop up the Second Division but will be encouraged after chalking up back-to-back wins with a 4-2 victory at Whitehaven in the Second Round of the Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup.

Dean Sinclair and Scott Gunn both bagged a brace of goals with Greg Quayle and Barry Armfield replying for the hosts.

Jarrow Roofing reached Round Three with a 4-3 extra-time victory over Norton and Stockton Ancients who were ahead on three occasions courtesy of Nicky Martin (2) and Gary Mitchell.

Andy Appleby and Dean Nicholson (2) struck before in the 113th minute Paul Gardiner clinched the winner.

H Because a number of sides are involved in the FA Carlsberg Vase at the weekend, there is a restricted ENL midweek programme and only two fixtures are scheduled for tonight.

Morpeth Town will aim to build on victory in their last outing by defeating Billingham Town in a crucial basement clash.

The Northumbrians are fourth from the basement, a healthy 21 points ahead of the Teessiders but only six in front of Team Northumbria who occupy the last relegation place.

In the other game, Newcastle Benfield travel to Newton Aycliffe with both sides comfortably placed in the table.