FA Vase: Red Star deliver to make best progress in competition’s history

Seaham Red Star's Paul Gardiner slams home the crucial second goal in Saturday's FA Vase win over Maltby Main. Picture by Tom Banks
Seaham Red Star's Paul Gardiner slams home the crucial second goal in Saturday's FA Vase win over Maltby Main. Picture by Tom Banks
Have your say

Seaham Red Star celebrated wildly on Saturday when Mark Collingwood’s men reached the third round of the FA Carlsberg Vase.

The club have never progressed so far in the competition.

Maltby Main, from South Yorkshire, were an unknown quantity, but the Star rose to the occasion and fully deserved their 3-1 victory.

An early goal was just what they needed and Dan Robinson obliged, heading in Lee Kerr’s corner kick with just 12 minutes on the watch.

Seaham maintained their pressure, but Maltby rallied close to the break, with Carl Thorp making an excellent defensive block to deflect a shot wide.

Just before the interval, Maltby’s Josh Nodder hit the post and then forced a good save from Shaun Newbrook, but any nerves Seaham might have been suffering were quelled when Paul Gardiner fired in the second goal from 12 yards in the 50th minute, after the Northern Counties East League side failed to clear a corner.

Nodder, though, set up a grandstand finish by reducing the deficit, after some fabulous play by Chris Fawcus.

Newbrook made a tremendous save to keep Red Star ahead, then the visitors wasted an unmarked close-range header.

Red Star went straight upfield to wrap up the tie as Nicky Kane buried his shot into the corner of the net, after good work from Robinson, just before the end.

Red Star will hope to maintain their Vase interest beyond the New Year to match their epic run in the FA Trophy in 1989-90 which only ended with defeat to non-league giants Woking.

Sunderland RCA are also in today’s draw for the third round. They won at a canter against Hemsworth Miners Welfare in South Yorkshire, cruising to an impressive 5-1 victory.

Man-of-the-match Colin Larkin rifled a hat-trick, with Kevin Gordon and Stephen Callan also on target in a resounding triumph. Sam Jones struck for Hemsworth, but by then his side trailed by four goals.

For the third successive season, Dunston UTS knocked Whitley Bay out of the competition, this time by a 2-1 margin thanks to a brace of goals by the outstanding Malcolm Morien. Mark Bertram was Whitley scorer’s in front of a 395 crowd.

Newton Aycliffe went through with a dramatic 5-3 win at Colne, following extra time.

Dennis Knight hit a hat-trick, with Stuart Banks and Alan Harrison also finding the net.

Several ties were postponed, including the eagerly-awaited meeting of Consett and South Shields, who will try again tomorrow night. Snow forced off the Belle View Stadium showdown.