FA Vase: It’s Proctor feelgood as Luke’s double steers RCA to best ever unbeaten run

Chester-le-Street (hoops) threaten the Newton Aycliffe goal in Saturday's FA Vase tie. Picture by Kevin Brady
Chester-le-Street (hoops) threaten the Newton Aycliffe goal in Saturday's FA Vase tie. Picture by Kevin Brady
Have your say

Sunderland RCA enjoyed a double celebration in West Yorkshire on Saturday.

A 4-2 victory over Silsden swept them into the second round of the FA Carlsberg Vase and created a new club record. Previously, their best unbeaten sequence was 12 games, but they took the number to “lucky” 13 as it just gets better and better for the Wearsiders.

At this stage of last season, doom and gloom descended on Meadow Park, with the team languishing in the Ebac Northern League’s First Division drop zone, but that’s been lifted and Martin Swales’ men await today’s draw for the next round with great excitement.

Following a goalless first half, it was against the run of play when Chris Wademan fired Silsden in front, but it didn’t take RCA long to turn the tables.

A double from Luke Proctor had them in front and, on 81 minutes, Colin Larkin – who had only been onfor three minutes – made it 3-1.

Silsden battled back and a tremendous shot from Talent Mdlovu set up a grandstand finish, but, in the last minute, Larkin struck again to ease any nerves the Wearsiders might have been suffering.

RCA don’t have a midweek fixture and their next game is at bottom-of-the-table Bedlington Terriers on Satuday.

Seaham Red Star toppled Durham City at the Belle View Stadium, Consett,which is expected to become the Citizens’ home for the remainder of the season.

The only goal came on five minutes when Darryl Donnelly’s flighted effort beat goalkeeper Tom Flynn.

Chester-le-Street – battling for promotion from the Second Division – were well beaten 4-0 at home to First Division Newton Aycliffe, whose marksmen were Mattie Moffat (2), Alan Harrison and former Barnsley player Dennis Knight.

An extra-time goal by Liam Atkin earned Ashington their place in round two at the expense of Dronfield, whose scorers were Carlton Dickinson and Ash Morley, who levelled at 2-2 in the 94th minute. Andrew Johnson bagged a brace for the Colliers.

After leading 4-0 through James Novak, Jordan Fry, Chris Swales and Michael Chilton, Morpeth Town were pegged back to 4-4, but, with only seconds remaining, Chilton secured a 5-4 victory at West Didsbury and Chorlton.

Guisborough Town were the biggest scorers of the day when they thumped Armthorpe Welfare 8-0, as the goals flowed from no fewer than six players.

Danny Earl (3), Andrew May, Chay Liddle, Steve Snaith, Curtis Round and Danny McWilliams.

Marske United were also in scoring mode at Congleton Town, where they won 5-1 thanks to Luke Bythway (2), Glen Butterworth, Adam Preston and Reece Kelly.

Despite scoring four times, courtesy of a Mark Doninger hat-trick and Gary Brown, Shildon went out 5-4 to Handsworth Parramore after extra time. West Auckland succumbed 3-2 at Hemsworth MW, where Ian Maddison and Jack Proctor scored.

Team Northumbria were 4-0 winners over Darlington RA in an all-ENL Second Division tie, but Newcastle Benfield lost at Atherton Collieries, for whom Mark Truffas scored both goals.

The only replay will be at Hillheads tomorrow night (7.45pm) when Whitley Bay have home advantage over Northwich Manchester Villa.

Mark Bertram gave them the lead on Saturday with a tremendous effort from 30 yards, but, before the interval, Guy Ansah-Palmer restored parity.