Extra-time heartache for Sunderland RCA

Have your say

SUNDERLAND RCA took EvoStik League side Darlington 1883 to the wire before losing 3-1 after extra time in last night’s Durham Challenge Cup first round tie.

David Lee’s team led from the 44th minute with an excellent strike by Josh Home-Jackson, whose curling shot beat goalkeeper Peter Jamieson.

It wasn’t until the 75th minute that the Quakers, playing at at Heritage Park, Bishop Auckland, levelled through Chris Moore.

The tie went into extra time when two goals from Steve Johnson and Lewis Turner in the second half ended the hopes of the Wearsiders, who had played so well.

Wearside League high-fliers Ryhope CW went out to Northern League visitors Billingham Synthonia, who clinched a 5-3 victory by scoring twice in the final nine minutes.

With extra time looming, James Magowan added a fourth goal for Synners and, in the 89th minute, Theo Furness made certain of progress.

Joel Callander, Jack Bradbury and Magowan were Synthonia’s early marksmen, with Chris Winn (2) and Richard Jordan on target for Ryhope.

Brandon United scored after only nine minutes, with Mark Ferguson beating goalkeeper Andy Rafferty, but a Hartlepool United XI quickly hit back to take the tie by a 5-2 margin.

Lewis Hawkins, Ben Wignall and Zak Bogey all scored superb goals to turn the tie around. Jordan Richard and Nialle Rodney also netted for Pools, with Luke Wilson Brandon’s second scorer.

Coxhoe Athletic went out 4-0 to a Gateshead XI, who had the tie won by the half-hour mark following goals from Adam Boyes (2), Nicky Cummings and Callum Hope.

Whickham produced an excellent performance to defeat Newton Aycliffe 2-1.

After Jamie Owens had given Aycliffe the lead, Chad Collins equalised on 35 minutes and, in the final minute, Nathan Johnston snatched the Tynesiders’ winner.

Three of the seven ties went to extra time and two were only settled by penalties.

Stephen Preen fired Dunston UTS in front before Crook Town equalised with an own goal by Luke Gilhespy, who deflected a cross into his own net.

Dunston booked their place in round two with a 4-2 penalty shoot-out.

Two hours failed to produce a goal when Norton and Stockton Ancients met Shildon, who went through 7-6 on penalties.