Easington hold on to victory against Coxhoe

Have your say

EASINGTON Colliery withstood a spirited fightback by Coxhoe Athletic to clinch a welcome Wearside League victory at the weekend.

At one stage it looked as if the Colliers were coasting home after Rhys Breemer, Carl Winspear and Robert Taylor had beaten goalkeeper Anthony Lowerson by the 40th minute.

But a goal from Stephen Wilson on the stroke of half-time inspired Coxhoe, who were in with a chance when Philip Best further reduced the deficit 10 minutes from time.

The pressure on Easington was eventually relieved as Adam Brown scored a fourth, decisive goal which ended Coxhoe’s hopes once and for all.

Ashbrooke Belford House slipped into the bottom six after losing at Jarrow, who led with goals from Andrew Wilkinson and Liam Bailes until the 89th minute.

Mark Green’s goal set up an exciting finale but Ashbrooke’s late pressure failed to produce an equaliser.

Silksworth Rangers are third bottom after being hit for six by high-flying Willington, who have taken maximum points from every game.

The Wearsiders leaked just one goal to Jason White during the opening period before Adam Thacker doubled the deficit early in the second half.

Silksworth then had goalkeeper John McLean sent off and Glen Hargreaves was taken to hospital with a facial injury.

Dean Hannah took over in goal and was beaten four times by Rhys Marshall, Dean Hanson, Michael Yorke and White. Rangers’ only reply came from Michael Stafford when his side trailed by six goals.

Sunderland West End’s defeat at Kirkbymoorside completed a bad day for the three Wearside clubs.

Tom Ellis and Johnny Brown fired the Yorkshiremen into a comfortable lead and although Michael Wharton cut the deficit on 85 minutes, West End lost for the third time and are now down to ninth.

Boldon CA were unable to halt Hartlepool’s rise up to sixth - their highest position so far. Craig Hutchinson, Shaun Atkinson, Andrew Ross and Jonathan Bolton put the game well beyond the reach of CA for whom Michael Meek claimed a consolation goal.

Seaton Carew paid the penalty for failing to take their chances and Prudhoe Town showed them the way to goal with Kai Hewitson and Jake Stafford finding net.

Keegan McDermott hit a late winner for Harton and Westoe at Annfield Plain, where they twice led courtesy of Stephen Graham and David Graham. Jamie Turnbull and Matthew Wilson replied.

Gateshead Leam Rangers were well beaten at Cleator Moor Celtic, whose marksmen were Kevin Holliday, Craig Corkhill, Ryan Hall and Josh Charlton.

Bottom-of-the-table Wolviston won for the first time, defeating Darlington Cleveland Bridge with strikes by Carl Berry and Shaun O’Brien. Daniel

McLoughlin equalised for the visitors.

Second-top Richmond Town were held to a draw at Redcar Athletic, who led thanks to Adam Cheung before Richard Compton restored parity.

Stockton Town went out of the Durham Challenge Cup to Bishop Auckland for who Andrew Johnson and Sonny Andrews, with a brace, were the scorers. Goalkeeper Peter Jeffries saved a penalty by Kallum Hannah to keep Bishops’ three-goal lead intact.