Easington come from behind to seal cup progress

Have your say

EASINGTON Colliery extended their recent impressive form when they came from behind to thump Seaton Carew 5-2 in the first round of the Wearside League Cup on Saturday.

After 20 minutes, though, it was the Seasiders who were favourites to go through.

They rocked the Colliers by taking a two-goal lead with Matthew Kelsey beating goalkeeper Kyle Donaldson after just eight minutes, before Dale Campion capitalised on a defensive error to fire into an empty net.

Easington’s fightback began on 35 minutes when the impressive David Paul pulled the ball back for Paul Stephenson to find the net.

Early in the second period, David Paul drove through a crowded goalmouth for the equaliser and from then on the Colliers were rampant.

Good work by Adam Frame opened up the opportunity for Paul to score his second goal and it was from another Paul effort which rebounded from the crossbar that Brett Gillatt fired past goalkeeper Gary Fleetham.

Just before the end, Fleetham denied Michael Patterson who reacted quickly to strike home the rebound.

Ashbrooke Belford House are up to sixth in the league after they went nap at home to Hartlepool when Lee Andrews gave a scintillating performance.

He netted twice in the opening 23 minutes and although Sean Ross reduced the deficit, there was no stopping the Wearsiders and Andrews in particular.

He took his personal tally to four goals by the hour mark and the woes of Pools were compounded when Stephen Callan added a fifth.

The biggest win of the day was recorded by Prudhoe Town, who hit second-bottom Boldon CA for six and, in Stephen Foster, they had the biggest individual scorer. The striker was magnificent and hardly missed a chance as he rifled five goals past Boldon’s overworked goalkeeper Chris Anderson.

Paul Oxley was also on the mark for Prudhoe, with Boldon’s only reply a Shaun Carroll penalty when they trailed by just two goals.

Ryhope CW were without a fixture and Stockton Town leap-frogged them into pole position by defeating Jarrow at Perth Green.

Although in the end the Teessiders won comfortably, it wasn’t until the 56th minute that Stephen Roberts broke the deadlock by heading wide of goalkeeper Simon Parkin.

James Ward soon made it two with a tap-in and there was no way back for the South Tynesiders as Kallum Hannah fired in from an acute angle. Near the end, Hannah was again on target with another clinical finish.

Ryhope CW are second, a point off the leaders, and Cleator Moor Celtic are third after they beat Wolviston with strikes by leading scorer Leigh Dunn, with a brace and Stuart Shaw.

Five games produced 27 goals but there were only two when Harton and Westoe CW and Annfield Plain shared the points. Scott Heslop headed the visitors in front after only five minutes and, in the second period, Harton’s Shaun Flood equalised from the spot after he had been brought down.

The League’s representative side made an exit from the FA National Inter-League Cup when they went down to the Humber Premier League 2-1 following extra time. Barry Turton had given the Wearsiders the lead.