Easington Colliery in crisis

Have your say

FOLLOWING a weekend of uncertainty, Easington Colliery have not resigned from the STL Northern League ... but their future is in doubt.

After the 14-0 drubbing at Team Northumbria on Saturday, the club indicated that they wished to withdraw with immediate effect but then withdrew the request.

An emergency meeting is to be held in Easington Colliery WMC tonight at which it is hoped that a basis can be found which would enable the club to continue.

Chairman Steve Saiger will welcome all offers of help and he can be contacted on 07531 768866. The Colliers were very much the underdogs on Saturday, but not even Northumbria anticipated a double-figure victory.

But from the moment Mark Fenwick opened the scoring in the third minute, it was one-way traffic.

Five goals ahead at the interval, the Tynesiders struck another nine times during the second period to record their biggest win since they were formed in 2001.

Former Washington player Peter Watling rifled five goals, Tom Davies struck a hat-trick, with Nick Deverdics (2), Lee Scott (2) and Mark Bertram adding to Fenwick’s early strike.

Easington remain firmly entrenched at the bottom during their first season back in the league.

Horden CW are second from the basement. They travelled to Morpeth Town only for the referee to call the game off shortly before the scheduled start.

Seaham Red Star leapfrogged their East Durham neighbours when they arrested a long losing sequence.

Kevin Gordon fired them in front, only for Darren Morton to equalise.

However, five minutes from time Thornaby conceded the winner to Michael Chapman.

Washington ended North Shields’ long unbeaten away record thanks to Lee Hamilton’s brace, though the Robins claimed a consolation goal through Dean Holmes.

Chester-le-Street eased their relegation fears with victory at Brandon United, who are one place below the Cestrians.

Scott Donaldson struck on 44 minutes and 10 minutes from time Tom Vickers was on target.

Birtley Town are now in the top six, just two points behind Gillford Park, who occupy the third promotion spot.

Two excellent goals by Dan Smart late in the game, adding to Mike Hepplewhite’s second-minute penalty, proved sufficient at Ryton and Crawcrook Albion, for whom Andrew Dobbie had equalised.

In Division One, Sunderland RCA conceded a two-goal advantage to improving Consett.

When Marc Walton and Glen Robson (pen) struck, it looked as if Neil Hixon’s side were on their way to victory.

However, after David Scorer reduced the arrears, Anthony Lund levelled just before the interval.

RCA are third, now four points behind leaders West Auckland Town, who have two games in hand on the Wearsiders.

Mattie Moffat, with a brace, Stephen Brown and Michael Rae earned West the points against Jarrow Roofing, for whom Calvin McMahon twice netted.

Whitley Bay stay second, a couple of points in front of RCA, who have played two fewer games.

Until the dying seconds, however, it looked as if the Seahorses would be upstaged by Penrith.

Robert Bowman gave the Cumbrians the lead and following Robbie Dale’s equaliser, the game was into the last minute when Paul Chow snatched the winner.

After losing heavily in their previous game, fourth-placed Spennymoor Town were back in form when Daniel Moore and Sonny Andrews (pen) were the matchwinners against Marske United.