Easington climb table

Have your say

FOLLOWING an indifferent start to the season, Easington Colliery are confident they are moving in the right direction and Saturday’s victory over Ashbrooke Belford House lifted them to almost halfway in the Wearside League table.

It wasn’t until midway through the second period that Andrew Bowes broke the deadlock and when he added a second goal eight minutes from time, Belford faced a formidable challenge.

Steve Callan snatched a 90th-minute goal but Tommy Dobbing’s side were unable to claim an equaliser in added time.

Silksworth Rangers crashed to a seven-goal defeat at Hartlepool and have now conceded 62 times – more than any other side.

Craig Hutchinson rifled a hat-trick, with Mattie Kelsey (2) and Craig Risebury (2) also beating goalkeeper Adam Donn. Anton Crann claimed a consolation for Rangers.

Jarrow completed the double over their South Tyneside neighbours Harton and Westoe, where Grant Pressling gave them a two-goal lead.

Adam Wilkinson added a third, but it was David Graham who took the eye with two tremendous free-kicks from well outside the penalty area.

In the last minute, another long-range free kick grazed the crossbar and Jarrow breathed a sigh of relief.

Vinny Gash, with a brace, and Phil Best earned Coxhoe Athletic the points with a 3-0 home victory over Wolviston, while Leam Rangers went down by a similar margin to Kirkbymoorside for whom Sarjo Cham scored all three goals.

Richmond Town extended their lead at the top of the table to five points, but Willington have six games in hand. Scott Ryan (3), Chris Patterson (2), Ben Darville and Mark Simms were on target for Richmond, with Ross Wilkinson Annfield Plain’s only scorer.

Darlington Cleveland Bridge have taken seven points from three games since appointing Richard Snowdon as manager.

Daniel McLachlan, with a hat-trick, and Scott Healey were on target against Seaton Carew for whom Jonathan Payne converted a penalty.

Sunderland West End exited the Shipowners’ Cup to Cleator Moor Celtic, whose matchwinners were Leigh Dunn, Ryan Hall and Bradley Rooney.

Peterlee Town’s defensive frailties proved costly in the Monkwearmouth Cup tie against Prudhoe Town, for whom Kai Hewitson (2) and Jonathan Hewitson took full advantage.

Paul Taylor’s strike was all the Newtowners could muster.

Boldon CA went out to Stockton Town, who won an entertaining game when Jack Risborough scored the only goal while Willington, unbeaten in the league and domestic cup competitions, went through against Redcar Athletic.

It wasn’t until the 113th minute that the deadlock was broken by Michael Weston. Rhys Marshall added a second goal for the Hall Lane side before Adam Cheung threw Redcar a lifeline.

With only a minute of extra-time remaining, Adam Pinkney made sure of victory for Willington.