Easington can’t halt Celtic’s progress

Have your say

EASINGTON Colliery couldn’t prevent Cleator Moor Celtic from closing in on Wearside League joint leaders Ryhope CW and Stockton Town, who were both on cup duty.

Paul Frame’s side faced a formidable challenge after conceding three goals in the opening 28 minutes.

Tom Mahone, Leigh Dunn and Callum Birdsall combined for Bradley Rooney to fire past goalkeeper Kyle Donaldson on 18 minutes.

Two goals in as many minutes then had Easington well and truly on the back foot.

Adam Telfer’s pace took him past three defenders and his square ball left prolific scorer Dunn with a simple tap-in.

Celtic’s third goal was something special. No fewer than eight players were involved before Telfer finished off a spectacular move.

Easington were given a lifeline with a splendid individual effort by Dale Spence, but almost immediately Rhys Williams unfortunately put the ball into his own net to restore a three-goal cushion for the Cumbrians.

Ashbrooke Belford House remain third-bottom after losing by the odd goal in three to fourth-top Redcar Athletic.

The Wearsiders went in front with a 24th-minute Stuart Burton penalty, awarded for a foul on Stephen Callan, but, just before the interval, James Kesterton levelled with a low, curling shot.

Early in the second half, James Smuk played in Kesterton and his drive went into the net off the inside of the post.

Coxhoe Athletic remain bottom but will be encouraged by their battling performance at home to Harton and Westoe CW, who led for 85 minutes.

Shaun Heads was a third-minute marksman and it wasn’t until two minutes from time that Coxhoe’s dominance was rewarded with an equaliser from Adam Strong.

Leam Rangers are second from the basement after losing 2-1 at Annfield Plain, whose matchwinners were Ross Nicholson and Lee Mole.

With just seven minutes remaining, Chris Wilkinson threw Leam a lifeline, but Annfield held on and victory lifted them into the top half of the table.

Sunderland West End left it late before defeating Horden CW in the second round of the Monkwearmouth Cup.

In the 89th minute, they were awarded a penalty which David Paul drove past goalkeeper Stephen Hubery.

Jarrow went out to Stockton Town despite Liam Bayles cancelling out Stephen Roberts’ early goal for the Teessiders.

Once they got their noses in front for a second time, Stockton were rampant. Roberts took his personal tally to four and Michael Dunwell also beat Jarrow goalkeeper Richard Swann.

Ben Darville, Michael Layfield and Josh Lincoln earned Richmond Town their place in the next round at the expense of Seaton Carew, whose only reply was credited to Craig Hutchinson.

Wolviston progressed in the Durham Trophy when an only goal by Ryan Hebb in a scrappy game, earned his side victory over Hartlepool.