Durham Sunday League: Wilson treble as Sandpiper edge home in Guards Cup thriller

Have your say

Washington Sandpiper squeezed through with a hard-fought 4-3 victory after extra time at Chester Park Inn in the first round of the JD Taxis Guards Cup.

Alan Wilson was the hero with a hat-trick, with Stephen Burns also netting, but Carl Robson was star man.

Framwellgate Moor WMC rocked Whitehills with a 6-2 away success, courtesy of doubles from James Smith, Lewis Coburn and man of the match Liam Wrightson.

Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars did just enough to fend off Washington Jays, winning 3-2thanks to a double from man of the match Liam Lusk and a strike from sub Jordan Eley.

Dubmire impressively won 4-1 at High Handenhold Bird Inn, for whom Thomas Illingworth struck.

Langley Park won an entertaining tie 4-3 at Ferryhill Community Hub after trailing 1-0 and 3-2.

Kieron Moralee, two-goal Tony Rutter and Steven Cummings did the damage, with Chris O’Hara (2) and Neil Birbeck responding.

Ouston Juniors battled gamely before losing 5-3 to visitors Chester Garden Farm, who had Micky Barron (2), Dan Johnson, Robbie Masson and Paul Lebihan.

Star man Matthew Cornish (2) and Calin Winship struck for Ouston.

West Rainton edged home 2-1 against Ferryhill Dynamoes, who led with a smashing free-kick from 30 yards by captain Davie Hall..

Rainton used the wind well in the second half, scoring straight from the kick-off and bagging a winner when a long ball was fumbled by the keeper. Jamie Bowes and star man Dan Summerbell struck for Rainton.

Durham County Seniors grabbed the initiative in the first half, going three up on New Brancepeth WMC before seeing the tie out 6-3.

Birtley Coach and Horses led 3-0 but visitors Lumley hit back to level with a well-taken David Lucas treble before Sean Lewis hit a late winner, adding to earlier efforts from Aaron McEwan (2) and Mark Jordan.

Ouston Cherry Tree enjoyed a fine 4-0 victory at Bede Lodge SC, thanks to Andrew Clarkson, with a brace, Michael Ross and sub Dan Clarkson. Richard Brennan starred for Tree, Chris Dodds for Bede.

Luke Thompson’s first-half hat-trick set up Ferryhill Celtic for a 6-0 rout of Coxhoe Red Lion, with two-goal Shane Todd and Neil Bell also notching. Liam Pearson (Celtic) and Michael Vasey (Lion) were sent off.

Washington Cricket Club turned on the style to hammer Durham Federation 10-1.

Kelloe WMC came from behind to beat Chester-le-Street AFC 2-1. Chester had a goal disallowed for offside, much to their bemusement, before James Thompson fired them in front.

Kelloe, though, levelled on 50 minutes and hit a winner on the hour. Richard Bestford shone for Chester.

An early goal by Dan Mearman got Durham Buffaloes Head a great start, but Lumley Snooker Club capitalised on the dismissal of Andy Donnelly, for handball on the line, to turn the tie around for a 7-1 success, although it was only 2-1 at the break.

Four-goal Anthony Jones, star man Ralph Watson and Ross Whitburn notched for Lumley.

Gregg Remmer starred in goal for Buffaloes.

Sedgefield SC beat Pelton Crown 3-1, with the visitors failing to make the most of their impressive performance. Kris Lawton cut the deficit to 2-1 from the penalty spot, but Lewie White’s clinical finishing was crucial for the hosts.

Hetton New Inn progressed with a 2-0 victory over Quarrington Hill WMC.

There were also three second round ties, with Houghton losing 2-1 at home to a weakened Ushaw Moor CC.

Michael Carroll (penalty) levelled at 1-1 for Town, but Michael Abson and James Richardson, with Ushaw having Scott Nattrass red-carded, saw the visitors home thanks to an 85th-minute winner. Andrew Brooke shone for Houghton.

Burnside WMC enjoyed a 5-2 derby win over Eppleton CC.

Kriss Jobling hit the first, lobbing the keeper from 45 yards, then Max Stoker caught the defence sleeping to head Burnside’s second. Ross Stoker made it three, but Eppleton showed grit to fight back, with Charlie Ord and Liam Ord cutting the deficit to 3-2 before a brilliant Sean Robinson save denied them an equaliser.

Star man Craig Ellison and Lewis Turnbull made the game safe for the hosts. Barry Appleton stood out for Eppleton.

Newton Hall Jovial Monk ran the show in a 3-1 home victory over High Shincliffe The Avenue, taking the foot off the gas when three up thanks to efforts from Chris King and David Wile (2). Mark Emmerson starred for Monk.

Newly-promoted Chester Britannia dominated from start to finish in a 6-1 Premier Division rout of Sacriston WMC, Cameron Nichol firing a match-winning hat-trick.

Darren Redfearn and Michael Roberts also struck, with Craig Roberts star man. David Winter replied.

Chilton WMC eased to a 3-1 home win over Houghton Town, going three up through Byron Brown, Vinny Gash and Nicky Pickford before the visitors rallied 15 minutes from time.

Pelaw Grange Dogs lost 6-2 to Newton Aycliffe, who were three up and cruising before Connor Grieveson bagged a couple of fine strikes, the first after robbing a defence on the edge of the box.

Danny Mellanby fired a treble for the visitors, with Kieran Megran and two-goal sub Aaron Wright also notching.

Hilda Park were pipped 3-2 by Pelton RAOB in an entertaining derby.

Buffs struck first, but Ally Robson converted a right-wing cross to level. Pelton regained the lead only for Chris Duke’s deft free-kick to make it 2-2. The visitors won it in the second half but survived a big shout for a penalty to edge home. Keeper Jordan Wass starred for Hilda.

Sherburn Village WMC opened and closed the scoring in an entertaining 2-2 draw at Sedgefield St Edmund’s, who had Simon Ord sent off for dissent.

Scott Arnott and Nick Marley’s efforts sandwiched Lewis Broom’s brilliant 25-yarder and a John Maddison strike.

Sacriston Cricket Club beat Brandon Sports 3-1, with Paul Basey hitting the consolation.