Durham Sunday League: Wild Boar’s own goal shocker sees Pelaw Grange Dogs through in County Cup drama

Wearmouth Old Boys (red and white) battle against Over-40s League rivals Roseberry Grange. Picture by Tim Richardson
Wearmouth Old Boys (red and white) battle against Over-40s League rivals Roseberry Grange. Picture by Tim Richardson
Have your say

Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars cruelly conceded a last-minute own goal to send visitors Pelaw Grange Dogs through to the first round of the Durham County Sunday Cup.

Boar were kicking themselves, having been 2-0 ahead after only 20 minutes.

Chris Rogerson fed a defence-splitting pass through to David Banks, whose ball into the penalty area was knocked in by a Pelaw defender for an own goal.

Karl Anderson then finished off a great move by chipping the goalkeeper for Boar’s second. However, Pelaw fought back into the game and levelled at the break, thanks to Bri Allen and Dan Igo.

The second half was end to end, but, on 89 minutes, and with the game looking to be heading for a penalty shoot-out, a hopeful lob into Boar’s box was met by Joe Robinson. With no-one near him, he dived to head the ball and, to the astonishment of his team-mates, nodded into his own net to hand the game to Pelaw.

Grange Villa defeated Peterlee Central Club 4-2 to reach the first round proper for the first time.

Fidele Doguie converted Ben Jefferson’s cross, then Dean Turnbull collected a neat Danny Hill pass before turning and shooting home. Turnbull headed home Gareth Bowen’s cross to go 3-0 up.

Central got two back, and missed a sitter, before Mark Greener’s 30-yard screamer clinched a fine Villa victory.

Ouston Juniors won 4-3 at Whickham Highwayman, twice coming from behind.

Cal Winship’s pair of fine free-kicks, a great goal from Ryan Bell and a late Dixon strike, from Bell’s cross, did the damage.

Brandon Sports Club won 5-4 on penalties after a 3-3 draw at Bishop Auckland Sports Bar. Houghton Town edged a 2-1 victory at Coundon Durham Ox, while Burnside WMC eased home 7-3 at Coundon Miners Arms, with star man Jordan Maughan, Rhys Jones and Scotty Connell bagging the goals.

New Brancepeth WMC enjoyed a thrilling 5-3 win over Premier outfit Chilton WMC in the Castle Insurance Alan Smith Memorial Trophy.

Chilton capitalised on a mistake to go ahead, but Anthony Bussey’s outstanding volley levelled it up. Mark Hughes added a second after great work from John Kidd, but Chilton hauled themselves all square.

Adam Purvis got lucky with a shot which deflected in off a defender to put Brancepeth 3-2 ahead, but Chilton responded strongly to force extra time.

Sub Anthony Holliday inspired Brancepeth in the extra half hour, pulling a cross back for Bussey to score. Bussey added a killer fifth from the penalty spot after Hughes was tugged in the box as he went one on one with the keeper.

Stephen Ferguson, Curt Pickford and an own goal counted for Chilton.

West Rainton finished convincing 4-1 winners in their tie at Durham County, who complained about a goal being awarded from a free-kick taken too quickly and from the wrong place.

Star man Kieran Bowes struck twice for Rainton, with Graeme Brenkley and Daniel Summerball also on target. Robson Brown netted for County, with Jack Hodgkiss their star man.

Premier side Newton Aycliffe Locomotion were too strong for Chester 18Seven, running out 5-0 winners.

18Seven had good spells and chances but could not beat visiting keeper Barry Poskett. Keeper Chris Howard shone for Chester with some top-class saves, but he conceded goals to Mark Wood, Connor Hughes, Liam Cooper, Daniel McLachlan and Gavin Wilson.

Lumley knocked Dubmire out of the Stepy’s Coaches President’s Trophy with a 3-1 away victory. An excellent, hard-fought and well-refereed tie saw Lumley prevail thanks to Scott Melvin’s double and a Kelvin Scorer strike.

Bowburn beat High Handenhold Bird Inn 5-2 in the second round, with Edward Carr running the show.

Adam Birks dribbled past three players before firing Bowburn in front on 33 minutes, and he crossed for Adam Kirk to double the lead.

Sean McGrail latched on to Paul Anderson’s pass to chip home for 3-0, then Kirk added a fourth, with Ben Johnson netting the fifth from a tight angle. Thomas Illingworth and star man Jonny Swift struck for Bird.

Durham Buffaloes Head were outgunned 8-0 by Witton Gilbert in the D&P Trophies Knockout Cup first round.

Witton never looked back after their early opener.

David Calcutt led the way with a four-goal salvo, backed by efforts from new signing Callum Adamson, Dan Cooke, centre-back Michael Bradley and Gavin McCormack, with Craig Wheeldon star man.

Michael Shaw shone for Buffs and hit the bar.

Lumley Snooker Club were beaten 4-2 by Chester Garden Farm RAR in a close League Cup second round tie.

Scott Howe’s brace had Farm level at 2-2 at the interval, and the visitors took control on the restart to run out good winners, thanks to Ryan Johnson and Bailey Hunter. Michael Barron starred.

In a depleted league programme, Bede Lodge SC got off the mark in Division Two with a 5-1 demolition of Bishop Middleham.

James Smith and Ian Brown both bagged braces to inspire Bede, with sub Jonathan Hodgson also on target. Daniel Mann starred for Bede.

Ushaw Moor Cricket Club overwhelmed Ferryhill Community Hub 7-1, inspired by Jay Wilson’s hat-trick. Jamie Gregg (2), Craig Flowers and Gary Clark netted, with Michael Abson on target. Shane Snaith notched for Hub, whose man of the match was keeper Dean Halpin.

Premier champions Pelton RAOB climbed to fourth place with a 4-1 success at Ouston Cherry Tree to make it five games unbeaten so far.

Chris Winn plundered a hat-trick to lead Buffs home, with star man Craig Mickle also notching.

Pelton were two up in 10 minutes and were four ahead at the break. Ouston improved markedly, and Mark Ramsay finished off Micky Ross’s cross to pull one back. Mark Bailes was their star man.

In the Fourth Division, Durham Rangers secured a 2-0 win at Sacriston The Shoes to climb to sixth place.

Rangers dominated for a good hour and their pressure paid off with goals from Mitchell Brewster and sub Andrew Foster, with Callum Gritton star man.

Newcomers Lambton Lions rose to top spot thanks to a fine 6-2 victory over previously unbeaten leaders Bearpark WMC.

Newton Hall Jovial Monk secured their first Division Three win, at the seventh attempt, beating Hetton New Inn 6-2 to move off the bottom.

David Grindley scored a belter of an opener after a fine move, then a fine solo run and finish from the returning Matthew Williams made it two.

Hetton replied from a corner, but Afshin Liaghi’s penalty and a David Wile strike got Monk in total control.

Wes Moat and star man Williams extended the lead before New Inn grabbed a second goal in stoppage time.

Hilda Park enjoyed a 4-1 First Division success at home to Framwellgate Moor WMC to stay in top spot. Sam Plant fired the visitors’ reply, with Chris Pattinson star man.

Ferryhill Celtic came from behind to defeat Houghton Chilton Lodge 4-2 to sit third.

Lodge grabbed a first-half lead only to be pegged back just before the break, with Dane Eltringham netting. Kyle Wren put Celtic in front, but Lodge levelled, though further strikes from Jonathan Agar and Luke Thompson sealed the home victory.

Andrew Bowes and Adam Hinde hit Lodge’s goals.

Washington Cross Keys romped home 5-0 at Whitehills to move into second spot.

The home keeper made a series of good saves to keep the scoreline blank at half-time, but Keys were clinical after the restart.