Durham Sunday League: Shears delight for Houghton in Burnside derby

RCA Grangetown Florists (light blue) take on Sunderland Sunday League rivals Ashbrooke Sports Club last week
RCA Grangetown Florists (light blue) take on Sunderland Sunday League rivals Ashbrooke Sports Club last week
Have your say

Houghton handed Burnside WMC their first defeat in Division Three, claiming a hard-fought 2-1 triumph.

Burnside took the lead after just 13 minutes, Max Stoker netting.

They began to control the play but missed their chances and Houghton equalised two minutes before half-time, Grant Strong converting a penalty after star man Danny Grant was brought down by keeper Sean Robinson.

Both sides went close in the second half, Elliott Cutts hitting Houghton’s bar, but the hosts conjured up a winner when sub Stephen Shears ran into the box and his shot squirmed under the keeper and over the line 15 minutes from time.

Hetton New Inn secured their first league win, comfortably beating hosts Chester-le-Street AFC 3-0.

Their spirit and determination shone through, with goals from Jordan Knox, Kieran Hartley and Jonathan “ham” Shanks doing the damage. Man of the match Lee Francis and Keith Finch dominated midfield.

Sedgefield SC bagged an 85th-minute strike, a deft flick at a near-post corner doing the damage, to beat Quarrington Hill WMC in a long-ball battle.

Houghton Town enjoyed an excellent 4-1 Premier Division success at Pelton RAOB, with two-goal star man Lee McBeth leading the way/

Callum Munro and James Cook also notched.

Sacriston Cricket Club gained the upper hand in the second half to edge a 2-0 derby victory at home to Sacriston WMC.

Anthony Ward and John Harrison netted, with Michael Frazer and David Winter the respective star men.

Waldridge Park rallied from two down to thump Houghton Wild Boar All Stars 7-3 in Division One.

Boar started brilliantly and sailed into a two-goal lead when Shaun Corner lobbed the goalkeeper from 20 yards and Liam Lusk sidefooted home a right-wing cross.

Boar had a third goal disallowed before Waldridge hauled themselves level. Stephen Parkin’s penalty, regained Boar’s lead by half-time.

But Waldridge battled their way back and four second-half goals secured three precious points. Chris Days (4), Adam Campbell Bell (2) and and an own goal gave Park the edge.

Philip Thompson starred for Boar, Steven MacDonald for Waldridge.

New Brancepeth WMC drew 2-2 with Houghton Chilton Lodge in an entertaining clash, thanks to two late goals.

Lodge struck first when Dan Thompson was at full stretch to convert Ben Hodgson’s chip, then star man Ross Meenaghan’s cross was turned home by Adam Hinde for 2-0.

But Brancepeth struck twice in the final 10 minutes, Anthony Bussey bursting into the box unchallenged to find the bottom corner, then charging down a clearance by keeper Graeme Defty, after he had been given a short back pass, and tapping in.

Bede Lodge SC edged home 2-1 against Pelton Crown in Division Two, in a game of two halves.

Daniel Mann and Patrick Harrington had Bede two up at the break, but Pelton dominated on the restart, yet only had a Kris Lawton strike to show for their efforts.

Sean Richardson and Steven Shaw were the respective star men.

Pittington cruised to a 7-1 victory at Kelloe WMC, who had two men sent off.

Kadam Lumsden-Parnaby saw red after just 10 minutes, with Carl Sanderson dismissed with 20 to go. Michael Hogg hit Kelloe’s reply, but Phillip Harbisher and Andrew Foster bagged doubles for Pittington, backed by Danny Turnbull, John Bates and Paul Harbisher.

Framwellgate Moor WMC won 2-1 at Ferryhill Community Hub, with Chris O’Hara replying to strikes from David Pratt and Dale Aunger.

In Division Four, Bowburn enjoyed a great first half on the way to a 6-3 defeat of Lumley, who had Ross Melvin, Dan Melvin and Ross Hughes on target.

Lee Jennings struck twice for Bowburn, with Philip Spencer and Adam Kirk, with a ferocious 18-yarder from Jody White’s pass, making it 4-1 at half-time. Craig Hill’s right-foot half-volley and a deft Kirk header saw them 6-1 up.

Durham Buffaloes Head put up a good fight in their 3-2 defeat at Bearpark. They led twice, through Kevin Todd and Ryan Mundell, but lost to two disputed Craig Bennett penalties and a terrific solo goal by Dylan Crooks.

Eppleton Cricket Club hit back from a two-goal deficit to send Newton Hall Jovial Monk packing in the D&P Trophies Knockout Trophy.

Matthew Williams and Adam Baister struck for Monk, but, despite a fine display by home keeper Rob Berry, Eppleton fought well to win 4-2 thanks to Liam Ord’s brace, plus strikes from subs Kevin Ambler and Ben Harrison. Charlie Ord shone.

Lumley Snooker Club beat Witton Gilbert Travellers Rest 3-1, with Chris Dawson (2) and Ben Haddock netting. Connor Butterfield responded.

Washington Cricket Club demolished High Shincliffe Avenue 9-0 in a one-sided Stepy’s Coaches President’s Trophy tie, with five-goal Gary McCartney on fire.

David Kirtley (2), Paul Terrell and Liam Young also struck.

Ferryhill Dynamoes saw off Durham County 3-1 in the Castle Insurance Alan Smith Trophy.

Dynamoes led 2-0 before Joe Kerry replied, with County having an equaliser controversially disallowed. Thomas Olley, Chris Devine and Kurt Seymour struck for Dynamos.

Sedgefield St Edmund’s showed their Premier class by routing Birtley Coach and Horses 9-3 in the Stonebridge Inn League Cup.

James Ward, Kevin Bruynson and Mark Jordan struck for Birtley, but doubles from Joe Peel, Simon Ord and Dan Newby inspired Saints, with Andrew Beamson, Jamie Dalton and Jack Marley also on target.

Washington Jays came from two down to win 5-2 after extra time at Durham Federation, who had performed magnificently to lead with strikes from Conor James-Platt and Scott Walker.

Ferryhill Celtic ousted Ouston Cherry Tree from the JD Taxis Guards Cup, edging home 3-2 after extra time.

Celtic took the lead, with Andrew Agar scoring, then Jason White doubled the lead before Tree replied on 72 minutes, Andrew Clarkson’s bobbling shot from outside the box getting past Kris Carr.

Micky Ross then deflected a Clarkson shot beyond the keeper to level at 2-2.

Clarkson blasted a late penalty over the bar, and Tree paid for that when Celtic snatched victory in extra time, Agar netting his second.

Washington Sandpiper prevailed 5-3 against West Rainton, but only after extra time.

Wayne Hodgson (2), Alan Wilson, Ross Docherty and Stephen Burns notched, with two-goal Ian Brown and Matthew Kane replying.

Ouston Juniors won 3-1 at Kirk Merrington Half Moon in the Bishop Auckland Heart Foundation Trophy.

Matty Cornish levelling the hosts’ opener before Matthew McAdam’s coolly-taken penalty and a Cornish free-kick won the day.

Bishop Middleham progressed with a 1-0 victory at West Auckland The Club, controlling the game throughout and scoring when captain Phil Best produced an overhead kick as West only half-cleared a corner.

Ushaw Moor Cricket Club lost a very scrappy tie to a scruffy goal away to Stillington The Royal, having had a goal disallowed and been denied by a goal-line clearance and a string of fine saves.

Hilda Park blew a 3-0 lead as they crashed 6-4 to Newton Aycliffe Sports Club. Chris Duke, Chris Martin, Marc Smith and Arron Sheriff struck for Hilda.

Brandon Sports Club struck late on, with Andrew Morris netting after good work from Oliver Graham, to settle a tight, listless tie 1-0 against Chilton WMC.

Newton Aycliffe WMC started their FA Sunday Cup campaign with an 8-1 drubbing of Seaton Carew – after trailing early on.

Sonny Andrews hit four goals, backed by Rob Moncur, Corey Nicholson, Mark Wood and Aaron Wright. They next host Liverpool side Garston in round two.