Durham Sunday League: Quickfire Finch sets tone for 13-goal Fencehouses romp

Have your say

FENCEHOUSES romped to a 13-0 Fourth Division win over Bowburn, never looking back from scoring one of the quickest goals in league history.

David Finch needed just 10 seconds to make the breakthrough, and the hosts were four up by the quarter hour mark, thanks to outstanding forward play from influential man of the match Dan Lay, whose fine display was capped by four goals.

It was 7-0 at half-time, with six more in the second period.

Grant Craig notched a hat-trick, with sub Gary Hartis and Finch netting twice. Craig Thompson hit a “worldy” for his goal, with Dan Cummings also on target.

Dale Sudder stood out for Bowburn.

Houghton eased through their final game of their first season with a 5-0 victory over High Shincliffe Avenue, who started a man down

A first-half hat-trick from Lee McBeth had them four up at the break, with Daniel Grant also scoring. Substitue Shaun Dixon added a fifth goal, with Levi Scott again named man of the match. Michael Lawson shone for Avenue, whose skipper, Andrew Sharp, was close to marking his 100th appearance with a goal.

Durham County’s title push suffered a little setback when they were held to a 2-2 draw at Lumley Snooker.

County, whose marksmen were Joe Kerry and Alex Graham, were two up at the break, but Lumley fought well on the restart, rescuing a point late on as Dan Young and James Ladler struck.

County are two points behind leaders Chester Garden Farm with two games to play, compared to their rivals’ one.

Durham Federation had Callum Adamson on target in a 6-1 home loss to Chester-le-Street AFC. Stuart Ross was their star man.

On Tuesday, Fencehouses came from a goal down to draw 1-1 at Newton Hall Jovial Monk, with Grant Craig their marksman.

In Division Two, Waldridge Park need to just win their final match of the season to clinch the title.

Park confirmed promotion with a 2-0 home win over relegated Dubmire WMC, who started with only 10 players and were under pressure from the off.

Only very good goalkeeping and the woodwork kept the score down to two. Richard Ellis and star man Chris Rooney were outstanding in midfield for Park, who were close to an opener when centre-half Wes Delap saw a header rebound down onto the line, with the referee on hand to say “no goal”.

After the break, and with the visitors now up to full strength, Waldridge pressed and finally took the lead when Steven Dobbing’s shot at the near post could only be parried into the net by the keeper.

The lead was doubled when Dobbing’s pass found Adam Campbell Bell in the area and his powerful shot flew into the net.

West Rainton kept alive their slight chance of a top-two finish when they beat third-placed Durham County Seniors 4-1.

Star man Graeme Brenkley (2), Ian Brown and Jamie Bowes all notched to lift Rainton level with County, but with a game in hand, albeit still five points behind second-placed Whitehills.

Rainton had Scott Redmayne sent off.

Framwellgate Moor WMC capitalised on a catalogue of errors to beat Kelloe Davy Lamp 4-3 to rise into third place in Division Three.

Kelloe fought back with goals from Carl “Bags” Sanderson, Anthony Wharrier and Steven Ferguson, but gave themselves too much to do after their earlier mistakes led to doubles from clinical Moor pair Jack Rutter and James Smith.

Ferryhill Celtic drew 1-1 at Belmont The Shoes, with Luke Thompson on target and Jason White man of the match.

Celtic beat title-chasing Pelton Crown 3-1 in midweek, with Liam Mitchell scoring for the beaten visitors. Adam Harrison was their star man.

Ouston Cherry Tree climbed to sixth place in Division One thanks to a Micky Ross-inspired 3-0 win over Houghton Chilton Lodge.

Lodge were denied what would have been a cracking opening goal after an effort from range came back off the bar.

Ouston upped their game, though, and a well-worked Ross strike had them on top at the break. Josh Scott used space on the left well to pick out Ryan Drummond, whose cushioned header back to the edge of the box was inch perfect for the advancing Ross to drill home first time.

Sub Daniel James produced some great play down the right before cutting back for Ross to lash in a second goal, then he completed his treble in the final minute, scuffing home a Bailes pass after manager Zak Scott’s lung-bursting run drew the defenders away.

Washington Cross Keys eased to a 4-1 win at Ushaw Moor Cricket Club, who had Andrew Smith on target. Mark Burnham starred for Ushaw, who are in the drop zone with only one game to go.

High Handenhold Bird Inn fought gallantly for a 2-2 draw at Pelaw Grange Dogs, with keeper Tony Swift their man of the match.

Dan Watkins and Jonny Swift (penalty) grabbed Bird’s goals as they secured only their fourth point of the campaign, going 2-1 up at one point before San Hay controlled a Donnelly flick to fire an equaliser.

Pelaw led early on when Jeffers brilliantly lobbed the keeper.

Ouston Cherry Tree won 1-0 at Washington Cross Keys on Thursday, with Darren Green the stand-out performer for Keys.