Durham Sunday League: Pelton Crown and High Handenhold Bird Inn set up cup final derby clash

Houghton Cricket Club (yellow) take on Oddies in the Over-40s League. Picture by Kevin Brady
Houghton Cricket Club (yellow) take on Oddies in the Over-40s League. Picture by Kevin Brady
Have your say

Pelton Crown will meet High Handenhold Bird Inn in a derby final of the D&P Trophies Knockout Trophy.

Pelton pipped Grange Villa 4-3 in their semi-final, after extra time, while Bird beat Witton Gilbert WMC 4-2.

Grange Villa got off to a great start when Micky Gray smashed home a Joe Murray pass, but Crown struck twice in quick succession to go 2-1 up. Dean Turnbull soon levelled after Fidele Doguie’s shot came back off the keeper, however Crown scored again to lead at the interval.

Gray levelled with a great header from James Bishop’s corner, forcing extra time. Gray hit the bar for Villa, but Crown grabbed the winner on 102 minutes and held on.

Liam Mitchell (2), star man Connor Shaw and Scott Simpson netted for Crown.

In the other semi, Witton Gilbert WMC were rocked by the loss of two goals early in the second half as Jonny Swift struck twice.

Gavin McCormack briefly got Witton back in it, but the loss of two goals to star man Swift and sub Lee Johnson killed them off, despite a late penalty reply from David Calcutt.

Bede Lodge SC brought Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars back to earth with a bump.

A week after their shock cup win over Premier side Chilton WMC, Board were outgunned 3-0 by Bede in an all-Second Division JD Taxis Guards Cup tie.

Both teams went for it in an even game, with Bede having two efforts cleared off the line and Rob Thompson sending a 20-yard curler against the upright for Boar.

Stuart Thompson won the day in the final 15 minutes, hitting a brilliant hat-trick to steer the Durham side through to a third round tie at East Rainton. Midfielder David Banks starred for Boar.

West Rainton sent Premier side Brandon Sports Club crashing out with a 3-2 Castle Insurance Alan Smith Memorial Trophy victory.

Rainton shot out of the blocks to lead inside 10 minutes, only for Michael Fort to level, powering home a header from David Fort’s corner.

Rainton then jumped into a deserved 3-1 lead by the break. Andrew Morris converted from inside the box in the second half, but Brandon could not force an equaliser.

Daniel Summerbell, Graeme Brenkley and Scott Redmayne netted for Rainton, with Steven Bowes star man.

Burnside WMC also reached the quarter-finals, beating Ferryhill Celtic 3-2 with a last-minute winner.

Celtic twice levelled through Kevin Hodgson and Jonathan Agar, but Max Stoker, Callum Munro and star man Craig Ellison steered Burnside through.

Pelton RAOB showed no mercy in a 15-0 demolition of Framwellgate Moor WMC, with Cameron Nichol bagging seven goals.

Jack Honour and Craig Mickle added hat-tricks, with Alex Peake and Daniel Bedding also netting.

Pelaw Grange Dogs won through their delayed Durham County Sunday Cup first round tie, beating Shotton Comrades 4-3 on penalties after a hard-fought 1-1 draw.

Pelaw’s poor start saw Shotton ahead on 20 minutes as Boardman collected a cross unmarked and fired past keeper Bain.

Bain kept Pelaw in it with two fine saves before Donnelly levelled five minutes from time, picking up a long ball and scoring at the near post.

Durham County were too strong for Bishop Middleham and duly ran out 7-2 winners in their Stepy’s Coaches President’s Trophy tie to reach the quarter-finals

Two-goal Chris Brown, Stanley Ogunsuyi, Brad Hird, Dan Rooney, Alex Graham and Ben Reed notched.

Premier high-fliers Sedgefield St Edmund’s beat Fourth Division battlers Durham Rangers 3-0 to progress to the fourth round of the League Cup.

Andrew Beamson netted twice before half-time, then John Maddison added a third. Rangers’ young team never stopped running, and their keeper was outstanding, but Saints’ quality shone through. Steven Bagshaw stood out for Saints.

Lambton Lions moved six points clear in Division Four following a 3-1 victory at second-top Bearpark.

Jack Young, Liam Bain and Ross Mitchinson did the damage for Lions, with Joe Rutter star man. Bearpark dominated the first half but fell behind to a defensive mix-up and Lions capitalised, despite Stephen Robertson’s goal for the hosts.

Quarrington Hill moved up to fifth place by defeating bottom club Durham Buffaloes Head 3-1.

Quarrington Hill dominated the first half and created a host of good chances, but had to settle for a two-goal advantage. Buffaloes hit back in the second half, but they were killed off by a third home goal before capitalising on a defensive mix-up to grab a late consolation, with Luke Elves netting and Kevin Hepburn their man of the match.

Carl Tingley, Chris Winter and star man Chris Vaughan struck for Hill.

Sacriston The Shoes, with Daniel Chipeta man of the match, drew 0-0 with Gateshead Last Orders.

Ushaw Moor Cricket Club moved top of Division Two by beating morning leaders Langley Park 2-1.

Ushaw Moor dominated, but only after changes at half-time did they make the breakthrough, thanks to a great strike from Jay Wilson. Moor conceded a cheap free-kick and Langley levelled, Daniel Moses heading home unmarked at the back post.

But Moor rallied and hit a 75th-minute winner, with Adam Milburn’s fine through ball converted by Scott Nattrass. Mark Burnham starred, with Daniel Hamilton best for Langley, who are second on goal difference.

Four teams are level on 11 points at the top of Division Three after Lumley Snooker Club won 3-1 at Hetton New Inn to move above their hosts on goal difference.

Keeper David Hartill was outstanding for New Inn, whose marksman was Jonathan Shanks.

Dubmire WMC are among two clubs just a point off top spot, following their 4-0 demolition of leaders Bowburn.

Barry Turton, James Gardiner, Jed Croft and Jake Croft all notched to cap a fine home performance, with Paul Coxon starring. Dan Coad stood out for Bowburn.

The game was a well contested affair played in difficult weather conditions the game was decided by Dubmire taking their chances whilst Bowburn didn’t hitting the bar in their efforts.

Lowly Sedgefield SC secured only their second win, thumping bottom club Newton Hall Jovial Monk.

Sedgefield were on top from the off, with a goalkeeping error handing the hosts a very early opener. Monk never got going, and Sedgefield ran out clear winners as doubles from Bradley Sharp and Daniel Archer led the way. Rob Husband and two own goals sealed Monk’s fate.

Chris King was Monk’s top performer, with Paul Jordan best for the home side.

Ferryhill Dynamoes routed Coxhoe Red Lion 8-0 to climb to fifth in Division One.

Four goals in each half did the damage, with Vinny Gash’s treble supported by Andrew Agar (2), Nathan Wall, star man Dan Taylor and Jonathan Mason.

Sacriston Cricket Club won the derby honours to move up to sixth place in the Premier Division, leaving Sacriston WMC pointless at the foot of the table.

Both teams were up for it, but the weather spoilt the game. Anthony Ward was the difference between the sides, scoring both goals as the visitors just could not handle his pace and strength. Marc Bladen was star man.

Newton Aycliffe Locomotion regained pole position with a 4-1 home win over depleted Waldridge Park.

Park keeper Jordan Wass pulled off several excellent first-half saves to keep the scoreline blank, with Aycliffe also hitting the bar.

Sonny Andrews’ ball over the top saw Corey Nicholson put Loco ahead, but Waldridge levelled as Chris Days converted a penalty after Joe Hughes was fouled.

Loco regained the lead when a Nicholson shot skidded under the keeper and the hosts, with fresh legs from the bench, capitalised on a tiring defence to secured two more goals late on, through Andrews and Liam Cooper.