Durham Sunday League: Macpherson treble inspires magnificent seven as Houghton Chilton Lodge break Division One duck

Peterlee Helford (blue) battle against John Hogg Funerals in the Over-40s League last weekend
Peterlee Helford (blue) battle against John Hogg Funerals in the Over-40s League last weekend
Have your say

Houghton Chilton Lodge finally got three points on the board in Division One, thanks to an impressive 7-2 demolition of Whitehills.

The hosts rocked Lodge by scoring twice inside 10 minutes, thanks to Ryan Grayson and Bradley Graham. But Lodge rose to the challenge, as Whitehills self-destructed, and a hat-trick from Iain Macpherson led the way as the visitors romped to victory, hitting seven unanswered goals.

Andrew Bowes added a double, with star man Adam Hinde and Andy Macpherson sealing the rout. Joe Whelan stood out for Whitehills.

Waldridge Park consolidated third place in the Premier Division with a comfortable 6-2 win over Sacriston WMC, their fourth victory in six games.

Sacriston’s good start brought an opener from Chris Mordue, but Chris Days’ 25-yarder wrong footed keeper Liam Summers to level. The pivotal moment came just before half-time as David Wardle was sent off for a foul from behind on Park’s Adam Campbell Bell.

Waldridge capitalised on the restart as Bell, set up by Joe Hughes, fired home. Tom Winter equalised with a 25-yard stormer, but Bell finished off good work from Jamie Taylor to restore the home lead.

Hughes then took charge, grabbing a quick hat-trick, with Bell and centre-back Dan Barrass the providers.

Chester 18Seven Bar fended off Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars 3-2 in an entertaining Second Division clash to go top of the table.

Chester led at the break before Shaun Corner fired an equaliser on the hour mark.

Chester regained the lead before their keeper thwarted goal scoring opportunities from Wild Boar’s Corner and Craig Fletcher to keep the home side in front.

Chester, whose marksmen were Jamie Maher, Michael McLean and Nicholas Ling, with a stunning free-kick, sealed the game with a further goal on 84 minutes, though Corner netted with the last kick of the match to end the game at 3-2.

Liam Lusk was Wild Boar’s star man, with Paul Botcherby best for 18Seven.

Pelton Crown dominated the second half to finish 5-3 winners away to Ferryhill Community Hub.

Nathan Wall fired a clinical treble for Hub, but Liam Mitchell’s hat-trick inspired Crown, who also had star man Connor Shaw and Michael Hoyle on target.

Pittington and Ouston Juniors served up a 3-3 cracker in Division Three.

Ouston pressed well and played with a good quick tempo, but Pittington dug in and bagged two quickfire goals before skipper Cal Winship’s free-kick reduced the deficit at half-time.

Pittington looked to have sealed it when they restored their two-goal advantage, but Ouston showed great heart to level, Chris Pickersgill pulling one back before sub Nathan Morley equalised at the death. Carl Moxon starred.

Lambton Lions secured a tight 2-1 Fourth Division win at Sacriston The Shoes to go top of the table. Star man Robert Loraine and Liam Bain did the damage.

Durham Rangers edged a 2-0 victory in an even derby at Durham Buffaloes Head.

The deadlock was broken in a goalmouth scramble. Buffaloes, with Ryan Mundell starring, had the majority of possession but again failed to make the most of their chances. Late on, a deflected shot wrongfooted Gregg Remmer to seal Rangers’ win.

Chester Garden Farm edged through 3-2 on penalties after a 2-2 derby finish at Pelaw Grange Dogs in the JD Taxis Guards Cup.

Garden Farm took the lead from a corner when Adam Goodyear’s free header beat keeper Craig Bain.

Dogs upped their game but missed a first-half penalty before they got level when Ryan Lancaster finished from close range after great work from Connor Grieveson down the left.

In extra time, Dogs went ahead when David Jeffers shot home from distance, but slack defensive play let Scott Howe in to level with a good strike.

Ross Elliott, Ryan Johnson and Bailey Hunter all converted their penalties in the shoot-out and three good saves from Jack Wilson saw Farm through. Macauley Smith was star man.

Holders Burnside WMC enjoyed a comfortable JD Taxis Guards Cup victory at Newton Hall Jovial Monk, finishing 11-2 winners.

Ross Stoker opened the scoring and further goals from Robbie Richardson, Jon Jordison, Kriss Jobling and a coolly finished Stephen Gamble penalty set Burnside on their way to victory.

Stoker’s second strike and a five-goal salvo from star man Grant Craig finished the game in style.

Hetton New Inn won through a tough, fair tie by beating Lumley 2-0.

Kieron Hartill slotted home a penalty for the opening goal after a defender handled the ball in the box.

Jordan Knox made it 2-0 after keeper Michael Gowland couldn’t keep out a low shot at his near post. Craig Hughes starred for New Inn, Simon Cossar for Lumley.

Hilda Park roared back from two goals down to demolish Sedgefield SC 7-2.

A 25-yard chip and a six-yard finish had Sedgefield on top, with Chris Jordan and Daniel Archer the scorers, and Hilda suffered the loss of Ross Kind to a nasty clash of heads. A four-hour hospital wait ended with a diagnosis of concussion.

Hilda, though, levelled by half-time, with Craig Thompson and Jamie Gordon netting directly from free-kicks.

Hilda bossed the second half after a formation change, with Gordon unplayable alongside Ross Watson up front. James Hudspeth scored twice, with man of the match Gordon hitting three more to make it four in the game, including a memorable strike when his quick feet beat four players in the six-yard box and finishing well.

Depleted Bearpark WMC put up a good show before going down 4-1 to New Brancepeth WMC.

Tommy Clark struck for the hosts from a free-kick to trail 2-1, but John Kidd’s hat-trick and a Mark Hughes goal won the day for the visitors.

Washington Cross Keys showed their First Division class in an 8-0 romp at Witton Gilbert Club, scoring some fine goals in the process. Paul Finnigan shone for Witton.

Physical West Rainton overpowered youthful Durham County, squeezing home 2-1 in a tight showdown.

The game was decided on a controversial moment, the referee awarding a goal for Rainton when County claimed they had cleared the ball off the line.

Shaun Wilson netted County’s goal, but Chris Brown and Graeme Brenkley steered Rainton through, with John Horn starring.

East Rainton eventually beat Bowburn 4-0 to make progress in the League Cup, though they were flattered by the margin of victory.

Bowburn perhaps edged the first half but it remained goalless. Rainton’s brighter second half, despite Bowburn twice firing just over the bar, brought goals from Lee Gaunt (2), James Wood, with a superb free-kick, and sub Alex Cogle in the final 15 minutes. Adam Birks shone.

Premier side Newton Aycliffe Locomotive had to scrap for a 2-1 interval lead before running out 6-1 winners at Bede Lodge SC.

Right-back Dave Pratt scored a stunning goal to get Bede back to 2-1 as they held their own in the first half, and keeper Jordan Craggs was outstanding, but Loco had two-goal Connor Hughes, Gavin Wilson, Stuart Owen, Danny Mellanby and Mark Wood all on the scoresheet.

Quarrington Hill WMC exited the Stepy’s Coaches President’s Trophy with a 2-1 defeat to Bishop Middleham.

Hill missed two disputed penalties, but Gaz Hamblin and John Cook, with a penalty after Jonathan Hornsby was dragged down, won the day. Chris Kane hit the hosts’ goal.

Premier champs Pelton RAOB proved too strong for Ouston Cherry Tree in a 5-0 Castle Insurance Alan Smith Trophy third round win.

The game was all but over after 12 minutes, with Buffs 3-0 up. Ouston improved, but Pelton were always too good and goals from Gyan McMillan, Kevin Dixon, Craig Mickle, Michael Graver and Scott McArdle saw them through.

Ryan Drummond starred for Tree, with Ben Addison best for Buffs.