Durham Sunday League: Late, late West Rainton send Wild Boar down in relegation decider

Over-40s League action between Mill View SC (blue) and Hartlepool Catholic Club last weekend
Over-40s League action between Mill View SC (blue) and Hartlepool Catholic Club last weekend
Have your say

West Rainton snatched a late equaliser in their First Division relegation decider to send Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars down.

The sides were on 20 points apiece ahead of kick-off, with Boar requiring a victory to stay up.

They got off to a great start, too, Rob Thompson knocking in a goal after only 30 seconds, but Rainton equalised midway through the first half.

Houghton keeper Sean Simpson pulled off a number of saves to keep his side’s hopes alive and, on 75 minutes, substitute Liam McKitten fired the visitors into the lead.

But, with five minutes remaining, a hopeful cross into the Houghton penalty area ended up being bundled into the net to rescue Rainton and condemn the visitors to the drop.

Defender Dean Clark was outstanding for Houghton. Ian Brown and Scott Redmayne netted for Rainton, with Jamie Bowes star man.

Waldridge Park just did enough to beat New Brancepeth WMC 3-2 in their penultimate game to clinch a fourth straight promotion as runners-up.

Two-goal star man Joe Hughes and Richard Ellis were on target against Brancepeth, lifting Waldridge a point clear of third-top Whitehills.

Waldridge then demolished Houghton Chilton Lodge 7-1 on Tuesday.

Lloyd McGee and midfielder Jamie Taylor, with a 25-yarder, supported five goals from outstanding second-half sub Chris Days, who backheeled home for his hat-trick.

Lodge grabbed a consolation goal when a goalkeeping clearance rebounded into an empty net.

Houghton Chilton Lodge made sure of their survival with a 3-2 success at relegated bottom club Chester Park Inn.

The point they needed to stay up looked a long way off as Park Inn stormed 2-0 up in 30 minutes, thanks to Paul Corlett and Stephen Wood, but Ross Meenaghan grabbed a goal back just before half-time.

Dan Thompson levelled after an hour, then man of the match Iain Macpherson grabbed a deserved late winner.

Coxhoe Red Lion won 3-1 at Durham County Seniors, who played well despite having only 10 men for most of the match. Damien Potts equalised at one point with a clinical, close-range finish.

Burnside WMC clinched the Third Division title in their final-day decider at rivals Durham County.

The top two sides served up a brilliant game, with both teams giving 100 per cent at all times.

Alex Hird notched for County, but Burnside, who needed only a point to be confirmed as champions, snatched all three late on, with Grant Craig and Craig Ellison their marksmen.

Max Stoker stood out for Burnside, with Joe Jenkinson best for County.

Burnside also celebrated landing the JD Taxis Guards Cup, thanks to a 3-1 final win over Waldridge Park, who had Lloyd McGee on target.

Chester Garden Farm RAR signed off by beating Sedgefield Social Club 9-2 in very wet conditions.

Michael Williamson grabbed a hat-trick, with star man Jack Walsh (2), Ryan Johnson (2), Dan Johnson and Steven Kirkup also on the scoresheet.

The Premier Division title will be decided tomorrow when the top two, Newton Aycliffe WMC and Pelton RAOB, meet.

The pair are locked together on 45 points, with Aycliffe having a better goal difference, so Buffs must win to be crowned champions.

Houghton Town, 2-0 winners against Sherburn, will be champions if they beat Sedgefield St Edmund’s at home and the two sides above them draw.

Pelton secured a 10-1 win to relegate Pelaw Grange Dogs, then beat Sherburn Village 4-0 on Tuesday.

Four-goal Luke Kerry stole the show against Pelaw, backed by Craig Mickle (2), Chris Winn (2), Matthew Soulsby and sub Mark Anderson, while David Donnelly replied. Michael Redshaw starred for Pelaw.

Buffs then sank Sherburn thanks to Kenneth Ball (2), Winn and Soulsby, with Mark Peck star man.

Newton Aycliffe lost 4-2 to Sherburn before regaining winning ways, beating Sacriston WMC 2-1.

Aycliffe chose to play the Sherburn game on a 3G pitch, and they came from behind to lead with goals from Danny Mellanby and Warren Byrne.

But James Ellis’s treble, and a Richard Begg strike, steered Sherburn home.

On Tuesday, Aycliffe won 2-1 with goals from Wright and Andrew. David Winter replied for Sacriston WMC, who battled well in front of stand-in keeper Liam Summers, who capped a great display with an excellent penalty save.

Brandon Sports Club defeated Chilton WMC 3-2 in their final game, with regular goalkeeper Robert Barron striking twice and Gavin Mudd heading a third.

David Harrison and Anthony Local had given Chiltona 2-1 interval lead.

Washington Cricket Club fell just short of promotion in Division Two, with their final two wins taking them within two points of runners-up Framwellgate Moor WMC.

The determined cricketers first beat Bede Lodge SC 7-0, with doubles from Liam Young and Stephen Conlin backed by David Kirtley, Gary McCartney and Chris Horn. James Douglas starred, with Chris Dodds best for Bede.

In midweek, Washington beat High Handenhold Bird Inn 3-0, thanks to David Pybus, Young and Lewis Jopling. Chris Trueman starred.

Ushaw Moor Cricket Club won their final game 3-0 at relegated Pittington, dominating from start to finish.

Star man Mark Burnham (2) and Craig Flowers did the damage.

Bottom club Kelloe WMC signed off with an entertaining 9-4 defeat at Langley Park on Tuesday.

David McGuire bagged a hat-trick, supported by Kieron Moralee (2), Daniel Hamilton, Liam Bowes, Darren Green and Stephen Clifford. Dave Graham starred for Kelloe who only trailed 4-3 at half-time.

Durham Federation ended their Fourth Division season with a confident 5-2 victory at Durham Buffaloes Head.

Jordan Wingfield led the way with a clinical hat-trick.

Fed led 2-0 before Ross Wilby struck from a corner for Buffaloes. Fed then stormed 5-1 up, with Ben Pearson and Cameron Wilson also on target, before Gary Peart hit a second consolation in a goalmouth scramble.

Matthew Wilkie shone for Fed.

Witton Gilbert Travellers Rest comfortably beat Bearpark 4-1.

David Calcutt’s 30-yard free-kick put Travellers on top, and a good finish from the edge of the box by Mark Burden made it two.

Bearpark rallied with a Dylan Crooks penalty, but Calcutt’s second long-range set piece restored the two-goal advantage and he ended up with a hat-trick, netting from close range after a goalkeeping fumble.