Durham Sunday League: Hetton New Inn’s school of hard Knox rocks Quarrington Hill

Have your say

Hetton New Inn did just enough to beat Quarrington Hill WMC 2-1 in Division Three.

Daniel and Jordan Knox both struck to steer Hetton home, after a great double save from David Hartill, from a first-half penalty, kept them in it.

Michael Smith was lucky to stay on the pitch when he was awarded a yellow card. Keith Finch was again man of the match.

Lumley Snooker Club eased home 6-0 at Chester-le-Street AFC.

Rob Laws’ free-kick opener was added to by Anth Jones, James Laidler, Darren Finlay, Carl Kalagarama and Dan Young.

Meanwhile, Houghton have resigned from the league, with their results in Division Three expunged. They led the table for much of the first half of the season.

Houghton Town cruised to an 8-1 victory over Hilda Park in the only Premier Division game.

It was a bad day at the office for Hilda, with the bare 11 on Valentine’s Day, plus the gaffer, though they all battled well and showed pride in their efforts despite the heavy defeat.

Doubles from Lee McBeth and Aidan West steered Houghton to victory, supported by efforts from Gary Davison, Maty Weirs, Kyle Davis and star man Callum Munro.

Chris Duke notched Hilda’s consolation, with Ross Kind their top performer.

Coxhoe Red Lion were comfortable 3-0 winners at home to Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars in Division One.

The boggy pitch prevented a good game of football, but there was no excuse for Houghton who never got out of first gear.

Houghton were without their regular goalkeeper, so midfielder Jordan Eley had to step in - and he was to be the man of the match, making a few excellent saves to prevent an even bigger defeat.

Coxhoe led 2-0 at the break and a further goal midway through the second half sealed the deal.

On 85 minutes, Houghton were awarded a penalty, after Rob Thompson was upended in the box, but Liam Lusk blasted the resulting kick against the bar to end a miserable day for the away side.

Hungry Ferryhill Dynamos handed out a 5-1 beating to lowly Chester Park Inn, who showed their lack of confidence.

Josh Gash had Dynamos ahead at the break, and he added three more on the restart as well as setting up Tom Knight for the crucial second goal. Park Inn pulled one back with a well-worked Ryan Smith goal.

West Rainton grabbed the derby honours with a hard-fought 1-0 win at Houghton Chilton Lodge, who missed 10 regulars and remain at the foot of the table. Daniel Summerbell pounced for the only goal, with John Horn star man for Rainton.

Washington Sandpiper, despite fielding the bare 11, scraped a 2-1 success at New Brancepeth WMC.

Brancepeth missed plenty of chances, withRobbie Barrass their only marksman. Chris Morrison and Stephen Burns netted for Sandpiper.

In the Fourth Division, Bearpark WMC secured a 2-1 win over Witton Gilbert Travellers Rest in an entertaining game, despite difficult conditions.

Bearpark scored early through Dylan Crooks and continued to miss chances throughout the first half.

The trend continued in the second half, but, with 20 minutes to go, Craig Bennett increased the lead. Witton replied late on through David Calcutt, but Bearpark, helped by man-of-the-match keeper Liam Jones, held firm.

Ouston Juniors and Durham Federation were level at 2-2 after 67 minutes when the game was abandoned by referee Aaron Tones following a serious injury sustained by young home defender Matthew McAdam.

He tore open his leg in an accidental challenge, ended up waiting an hour for an ambulance and had 26 stitches inserted in the wound.

In an entertaining gam, Ben Pearson beat the offside trap and rounded keeper Cameron Findlay to fire Federation ahead. On the stroke of half-time, centre-back Jonnie Bolam headed home a corner to level.

Early in the second half, Federation went ahead again from a fine move, again finished off by Pearson, but Ouston debutant Andy Hall, an ex-Newcastle United youth player, lashed home a great equaliser.

A depleted Langley Park side drew 1-1 away to Ferryhill Community Hub in Division Two.

Ferryhill were the better side for much of game, but Langley could still have won it. Steven Cummings notched their goal, but the home keeper made two outstanding saves late on to ensure a share of the spoils. Liam Bowes starred for Langley.

Ushaw Moor Cricket Club squeezed home 1-0 in an ill-tempered, fractious match away to Bede Lodge SC.

It was a close, hard-fought game, with Bede reduced to 10 men when Sean Richardson was red-carded.

The cricketers grabbed the only goal, Scott Nattrass netting. Dale Morris stood out for Ushaw Moor, with Chris Dodds top man for Bede.

Burnside WMC clinched their place in the Stepy’s Coaches President’s Trophy final, winning 2-1 at Ferryhill Celtic.

In a tight tie, the introduction of Lewis Turnbull and Grant Craig proved decisive, with Celtic unable to cope with the subs’ pace.

Turnbull broke the deadlock with a 35-yard rocket into the top corner of the net, though Ferryhill kept fighting and levelled when Luke Thompson converted a free-kick with 15 minutes to go.

Stand-in goalkeeper Adam Tweddle was heroic with some brilliant saves for Burnside, who won it when Craig once again slipped inside at pace, beat his man and was brought down in the box. Veteran forward Craig Ellison coolly slotted home the winner to take Burnside to a second cup final.

Paul Gardner shone for Burnside, with Marco Linhart top man for Ferryhill.

Pelton RAOB produced an excellent performance to breeze past Chilton WMC to reach the Ramside Hall Hotel Cup-Winners’ Cup final.

Bradley Wilkinson, in goal, was the star man in vain for hosts Chilton, who succumbed to a 6-0 defeat.

Chris Winn and Luke Kerry both struck twice for Buffs, backed by star man Alex Peake and Craig Mickle.

Sedgefield St Edmund’s progressed to the Castle Insurance Alan Smith Memorial Trophy semi-finals, winning 1-0 at battling Chester Garden Farm.

A good, tight game between two fit teams, with very few chances, was settled by an own goal in the first half, in the Premier Division side’s favour.

Saints had more chances in the second half, but good goalkeeping from Matthew Goodyear kept them at bay.

Calum Johnston shone for Saints, with Tom Wray best for Garden Farm.

Washington Cricket Club finally won through their much-delayed JD Taxis Guards Cup second round tie against Sedgefield SC.

After three months and numerous attempts to play the tie, the green light was finally given, albeit Washington’s pitch was unplayable so Sedgefield hosted the game.

Washington, though, adapted well to the conditions and took a three-goal lead inside 15 minutes, through Sedgefield caught their opponents on the counter-attack to pull one back just before half-time.

Washington reasserted their dominance in the second half and ran out 6-1 winners. Star man Chris Horn, Robbie Williamson, Danny Ryan (2), Craig Watson and Liam Young all struck.