Durham Sunday League: Francis the star of the show in New Inn triumph

Have your say

Hetton New Inn revelled in a ‘raker’ from man of the match Lee Francis as they put Chester-le-Street AFC to the sword in a 4-1 Third Division triumph.

Two well-taken goals from Kieron Hartley and another for Jordan Knox killed off the game.

Mid-table rivals Chester Garden Farm and Burnside WMC shared the spoils in an excellent 2-2 draw.

A tight first half, with very few chances created, ended goalless.

The second half started with Burnside getting on the front foot and a goal from Craig Ellison put the visitors in front.

The home side pressed and levelled on the hour mark with a close-range header, but Burnside restored their lead with 20 minutes remaining, thanks to a cool finish from Kris Jopling.

The game went end to end with some great football getting played and Garden Farm levelled it from a corner in the 80th minute.

Tom Wray and Stephen Kirkup struck for Farm, with Daniel Johnson their star man. Max Stoker stood out for Burnside.

Second-top Durham County’s fitness proved decisive as they secured a 5-2 win at Dubmire, making it eight wins out eight

The sides produced a decent match despite the conditions, with a double from Stanley Ogunsuyi steered County home.

Craig Mountain, Alex Hird and Joe Kerry also struck, with Ben Reed the man of the match.

Bede Lodge SC cruised to a 6-0 home Second Division win against bottom club Kelloe WMC, moving within three points of the joint leaders.

Both teams started well, but Bede made their chances count and a hat-trick from Jonathan Hodgson eased them to victory.

David Duke, Sean Richardson and Daniel Mann put the game beyond Kelloe, whose star man was David Graham.

Pelton Crown enjoyed a 5-3 victory at home to Ferryhill Community Hub, inspired by fantastic wing play from man of the match Kris Lawton.

Stephen Burns led the way with a double, backed by strikes from Keith Lines, Lawton and Dean Stewart.

Ouston Juniors edged a 1-0 victory at leaders Lumley in a very entertaining Fourth Division game in heavy conditions.

Lumley had the breeze in their favour in the first half and their main chances came from set pieces as they tried to use their height advantage.

However, Ouston defended brilliantly, with Sam Hedley, Matty McAdam and Jonny Bolam strong in the tackle and dominant in the air. Veteran keeper Paul Hedley made one fine save to keep the game scoreless at the interval.

Ouston introduced starlet Matty Cornish at half-time and gradually upped the tempo, his trickery and footwork causing Lumley problems.

Ouston pressed and pressed and scored the decisive goal with 15 minutes to go, with a fine leap and header by Conner Anderson.

Jack Dickinson stood out for Ouston, who climbed into second place with the victory.

Ferryhill Celtic progressed in the Stepy’s Coaches President’s Trophy, outgunning visitors Washington Jays 5-1.

Celtic took the lead midway through the first half , with Jonny Agar on target. He made it 2-0 just before half-time, then, in the second half, Celtic killed the tie with further strikes from Shane Todd (2) and Luke Thompson.

Jason White was Ferryhill’s star man.