Durham Sunday League: First Cutts is the deepest as Burnside knock out Ferryhill Celtic

Have your say

Burnside WMC produced arguably their best performance of the season to beat Ferryhill Celtic to reach the JD Taxis Guards Cup semi-finals.

Every Burnside player won their battles all over the pitch from the off, and they were soon ahead when Elliot Cutts’ hard, low shot nestled in the bottom corner of the net.

Burnside were relentless and doubled their lead, Craig Ellison converting a penalty, despite slipping as he took it, having been brought down for the award.

Kriss Jobling rattled the bar with a header, but a heroic display by Celtic keeper Kris Carr kept his side in it.

Cutts hit the bar in the second half as Burnside kept up the pressure, and they held on to win, despite conceding late on when Shane Todd’s looping cross beat Sean Robinson at his back post.

Lewis Turnbull starred for Burnside.

Waldridge Park knocked out Washington Sandpiper with a 4-1 away victory, thanks to strikes from Jamie Taylor, Lloyd McGee, Chris Days and Chris Rooney, with Wesley Delap starring.

Chilton WMC progressed in the Stonebridge Inn League Cup, edging home 3-2 at Pelton RAOB.

Pelton led with a well-worked goal only for Nicky Pickford to equalise from the penalty spot.

Chilton went 2-1 up shortly after the break, thanks to a lovely Vinny Gash half-volley. Buffs, whose marksmen were Jack Honour and Michael Graver, got the game back to 2-2, but a late goal from the excellent Joe Cornbill sealed Chilton’s success.

Makeshift centre-half Kieran Harnett starred for CXhilton, with Alex Peake best for Pelton.

Washington Cricket Club outgunned Witton Gilbert Travellers Rest 9-0 in the Stepy’s Coaches President’s Trophy third round.

Richard Logan converted a hat-trick of penalties, with Liam Young also scoring three times. Danny Ryan (2) and Gary McCartney made it nine. Scott Bradley stood out for Witton.

Lumley Snooker Club enjoyed a Dan Young hat-trick in a 7-2 demolition of Durham Federation in the D&P Trophies Knockout Trophy.

James Laidler, Ben Haddock, Chris Dawson and Carl Kalugarama also notched, with Ben Pearson and Callum Adamson replying. Jordan Wingfield shone for Federation.

Lacklustre Houghton Town exited the Castle Insurance Alan Smith Memorial Trophy, losing 2-0 at home to Sedgefield St Edmund’s.

After an even first half, Saints stepped up a gear, having a few near-misses and two decisive John Maddison goals. Good goalkeeping by Niki Lawson prevented a bigger margin of defeat.

Whitehills stayed three points clear at the top of Division One following a hard-fought 1-0 success at Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars, a second successive single-goal win over their hosts.

Whitehills dominated the first half and went ahead on 40 minutes when Chris Savage reacted quickest to James Cattell’s flick-on to smash the ball home.

Boar were close to an equaliser midway through the second half when Steve Tunstall rattled the bar, but Whitehills held out.

Liam Lusk shone for Boar.

Ouston Cherry Tree beat West Rainton 1-0 to stay just behind the leaders, extending their 100 per cent record with a ninth win.

Ouston deserved their win, but were made to work hard.

The goal came in dodgy circumstances in the first half, captain Mark Bailes’s effort bouncing down off the bar and looking to have crossed the line, but Rainton’s skipper hoofed the rebound off the back of a team-mate and into the net to make certain the goal was given.

New Brancepeth WMC succumbed 3-1 to visitors Ferryhill Dynamoes.

Kurt Seymour’s simple finish put Ferryhill ahead, but Brancepeth stayed strong and levelled through Ryan Burton. Jonathan Mason bulleted home a header to restore the lead, though sloppy finishing saw them fail to confirm victory until Seymour chipped the keeper to complete the scoring.

Chrissy Dunham starred for Brancepeth.

Houghton Chilton Lodge were beaten 4-2 at Coxhoe Red Lion, after recovering from a goal down to lead with a well-taken double from Shaun Smith, back in action after being out of the game for a few years.

Chester Park Inn went down 1-0 to Lewis Hamilton’s goal for Durham County Seniors, with Lewis Holmes star man. Debutant Hamilton netted from close range after keeper Chris Howard parried Andrew Ward’s low shot.

Framwellgate Moor WMC romped to a 7-0 victory at Pittington in Division Two.

Star man Lewis Coburn fired a hat-trick,with James Smith and Wayne Gardner both adding doubles.

High Handenhold Bird Inn took their chances, while hosts Kelloe WMC did not, in a 3-1 victory.

Thomas Illingworth (2) and sub Andrew Smith netted, with an own goal, partly set up by star man Connor Ratton, pulling one back.

Langley Park won an entertaining game 2-0 at Bishop Middleham, with Stephen Clifford scoring both goals in the first half. Keeper Kerry Moralee was Langley’s star performer, keeping dominant Bishop at bay.

Ushaw Moor Cricket Club and Ferryhill Community Hub shared the spoils on a very soft pitch.

Ushaw took the lead when Paul Taylor rounded the keeper and scored from a tight angle midway through the first half, but Hub equalised, Michael Couch capitalising on poor defending.

Ushaw squandered three golden chances to clinch victory. Michael Abson and John Poulson were the respective star men.

Hetton New Inn lost 2-0 to Washington Jays in Division Three on a heavy pitch in cold, windy conditions.

Jays battled hard in a very tight game and broke the deadlock on 35 minutes with a wonder volley from Adam Hill. Jays spurned opportunities to clinch victory, with Lee Alcock, Alex Whitcombe, Anth Fletcher, Craig Crosby and Dan Robson all missing simple chances, but Karl Graham drilled home for 2-0 from the edge of the box, with New Inn caught pushing for an equaliser.

Keith Finch shone for Inn.

Houghton drew 2-2 with Quarrington Hill WMC, despite having to start with only 10 men. It looked as if the man disadvantage would tell in the opening stages, but they got going and took the lead, when a well-placed ball over the top found Shaun Dixon, who rounded the keeper and fired home.

Houghton were reduced to nine men on the hour after a player had to be withdrawn and within two minutes Quarrington Hill equalised with an overhead kick from inside the area.

Houghton dug in and regained the lead on 76 minutes when star man Levi Scott’s free-kick came down off the bar and Danny Grant followed up to turn the ball home. Yet Quarrington levelled within a minute to secure their draw.

Dubmire WMC enjoyed a 3-0 win over Sedgefield SC.

Bowburn comfortably outgunned hosts Eppleton Cricket Club 6-2 in Division Four, after twice being pegged back to all square.

Adam Kirk raced onto a clearance to slot Bowburn ahead, but Charlie Ord levelled. Kirk finished off a good passing move to restore the advantage, only for Ord to equalise again with a tremendous second-half strike.

Sub Sean McGrail made an instant impact to put Bowburn back in front, latching on to a through ball and netting in style.

He then finished off Edward Carr’s pass for 4-2. Kirk completed his hat-trick with a well-taken goal before McGrail did likewise, tapping in at the back post after good build-up play. Stephen Burke’s 25-yarder hit the post and ran along the goal line before going out of play.

Keeper Chris Naylor shone for Eppleton.

Ouston Juniors were clearly superior to hosts Durham Buffaloes Head in a 10-1 rout, netting five goals in each half.

Man of the match Danny Lawlor’s hat-trick was added to by Matty Cornish (2), Carl Moxon (2), Matthew McAdam, Jonnie Bolam and an own goal.

Michael Shaw hit a consolation at 5-1, with Simon Booth star man for Buffaloes.

Lumley roared back from a two-goal deficit to draw 2-2 at Newton Hall Jovial Monk.

Ross Melvin and Dave Lucas rescued Lumley, whose star man was keeper Michael Gowland.