Durham Sunday League: Elsdon seals the deal as Dubmire stun leaders Houghton

Willow Pond (blue/white) battle Houghton Cricket Club in the Over-40s League last week
Willow Pond (blue/white) battle Houghton Cricket Club in the Over-40s League last week
Have your say

Table-toppers Houghton slumped to a third defeat of the season in Division Three, succumbing 3-2 at Dubmire WMC in a close-fought derby.

Dubmire’s deserved triumph, their first points of the season at the eighth attempt, took them off the bottom of the table.

Luke MacDonald, a wonder strike from Stephen Donkin and Elsdon Thompson’s free-kick winner, two minutes from time, did the damage for Dubmire.

Houghton, though, made a good start with a Michael Carroll header putting them ahead on nine minutes. Dubmire levelled before having Ian Lucas, and they withstood the storm to go ahead on 70 minutes.

Kris Munro got Houghton, who had Adam O’Neil red-carded, back to 2-2, but the hosts secured all three points.

Quarrington Hill WMC secured only their third win, outgunning bottom club High Shincliffe Avenue 6-2.

Shincliffe took the lead early on, but Quarrington Hill got their act together and began to dominate, going 2-1 up by the break. Three more goals killed off Shincliffe before they grabbed their second goal.

Impressive Waldridge Park moved within two points of top spot in the First Division after demolishing Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars 4-0

Waldridge took the game to their hosts from the opening whistle, pressing Houghton back for long periods, and the opening goal, when it came, was more than expected.

The ball was played from defence through midfield and a cross from winger Campbell Bell found an unmarked Lloyd McGee, whose powerful shot from 20 yards flew under the keeper’s hands.

Boar had a spell of 15 minutes pushing the Waldridge defence back, however they struggled to create any openings as the defence held firm.

Waldridge’s possession play was again rewarded when a quick break allowed Jamie Taylor to pick out Bell, coming in from the right, and his fierce shot flew past keeper Sean Simpson.

On the stroke of half-time, Waldridge grabbed a third, with Bell getting on the end of a Chris Days pass and hitting the top corner.

Poor finishing, a couple of goal-line clearances by Chris Rogerson and Philip Thompson, and great goalkeeping by star man Simpson kept the score down after the break, although Waldridge did grab a fourth goal when defender Wes Delap headed in Jamie Taylor’s floated free-kick.

David Crank was Park’s star man for his strong performance in defence, marking Houghton’s lively winger.

Washington Sandpiper stormed to a 4-0 victory at West Rainton to rise to seventh place.

Alan Wilson (2), Stephen Burns and star man Craig Smith also notched, with Matthew Kane top man for Rainton.

Pelton RAOB climbed into joint second spot in the Premier Division thanks to a convincing 5-1 success at Sacriston WMC.

Soft defending was punished by the ruthless visitors.

Kenneth Ball’s double led the way in Buffs’ seventh win in 10 league games, backed by Michael Graver, Chris Winn and an own goals, with McMillan star man.

Man of the match Tom Winter fired Sacriston’s consolation.

Pelton Crown climbed to sixth place, thanks to victory in a scrappy Second Division game at fifth-placed Ferryhill Community Hub.

The match remained goalless in the first half, but three unanswered second-half strikes won the day, with Keith Lines, Scott Simpson and Mark Foster all on target.

Kris Lawton starred for Crown.

Ushaw Moor Cricket Club secured a 2-1 win at High Handenhold Bird Inn.

The score line suggests a close game, but Ushaw Moor should have been out of sight, missing a couple of good chances and hitting the post twice.

Lewis Cook opened the scoring with a penalty, then star man Scott Nattrass added the second. Jonathan Swift replied.

Bede Lodge SC maintained their hold on third place, beating visitors Langley Park 2-0 in a hard-fought game on a very heavy pitch.

David Duke and star man Jonathan Hodgson did the damage for Bede, who reached the halfway mark of their league programme with a fifth win to go alongside six defeats.

Langley, though, will rue their failure to capitalise on their periods of dominance.

Brandon Sports Club romped to a 6-0 home victory over Tudhoe United in the Bishop Auckland Heart Foundation Trophy first round.

The game was closer than the scoreline suggests, the difference being good defending and converted chances by Brandon.

Man of the match Lee Blades shone, assisting with most of the goals, three of which were converted by Steven Parnaby. The other goals came courtesy of youngster Oliver Graham and Andrew Morris.

Whitehills lost a thriller 3-2 to Premier leaders Sacriston Cricket Club, while Ferryhill Celtic claimed a 3-1 victory at Spennymoor Voltigeur, from the Wear Valley Sunday League.

Chester Garden Farm came through an epic preliminary round tie, winning 8-4 at Bishop Auckland Sports Bar.

The other scheduled Heart Foundation Trophy ties were postponed and will now be played on December 13.