Durham Sunday League: Cracking strikes from Anderson, Johnston inspire Wild Boar victory

Have your say

Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars held on for a 2-1 First Division success against Washington Sandpiper in a game of two red cards.

Boar started brightly and Karl Anderson’s 20-yarder made the breakthrough before Daniel Johnston hit home a great shot following a left-wing solo run.

Wayne Hodgson kept Sandpiper in the game, with Boar defending resolutely to defy the visitors, with Dean Clark, Joseph Robinson and Brian Dowson supporting keeper Sean Simpson.

Sub Stephen Parkin (Boar) and Carl Robson both saw red.

Coxhoe Red Lion took their chances, while hosts Houghton Chilton Lodge wasted theirs, in a 3-0 away triumph.

Adam Strong bagged a double, with Jordan Standard also netting, while keeper Tom Orton missed a penalty. Adam Hinde stood out for Lodge.

Neighbours Whitehills and Waldridge Park drew 1-1 in their Chester-le-Street derby.

Whitehills took the lead with a long -range James Cattell strike only for Steven Dobbing to equalise just before half-time.

Ferryhill Dynamoes pipped West Rainton 3-2, with Graeme Brenkley and sub Gary Tallentire replying to strikes from Tom Olley, Jonathan Mason and Daryl Hall.

The only Third Division game saw Chester Garden Farm edge a tight 3-2 win over Dubmire WMC, thanks to strikes from Allen Robson and Tommy Wray (2). Luke MacDonald and Mark Liddle struck for luckless Dubmire, whose star man was Jake Croft.

Hilda Park enjoyed a great day in a 5-3 win over Brandon Sports Club.

Carl Duke opened the scoring, but Brandon levelled and then survived a penalty, with Duke’s effort kept out by star man Rob Barron.

Hilda, though, took command on the restart and Duke added two more goals for his hat-trick, while Jamie Gordon struck twice, to go 5-1 up. Brandon, whose marksmen were Andrew Morris (2) and Karl Turner snatched a couple of late consolations. Chris Watson shone for Hilda.

Sacriston WMC edged an entertaining game 4-3 against Chilton WMC after twice trailing to efforts from Vinny Gash and Liam Dent.

Sacriston equalised in turn, then went 3-2 up before Byron Brown levelled. Sacriston won the game with a disputed penalty, which saw Neil Searby and Dent sent off for protesting.

Adam Wilson, Sam Renwick, Tom Winter and Gavin Richardson struck for Sacriston, who survived two strong penalty claims of their own.

Sacriston Cricket Club secured an excellent 3-2 win at Sedgefield St Edmund’s after falling behind to a third-minute Jonathan Pearson strike.

Andrew Collinson levelled, then John Harrison’s well-placed header and a late third from Iain Race sealed the points, though Dan Newby quickly replied and a wonder save by visiting keeper Marc Hall sealed all three points in the dying seconds.

Houghton Town drew 2-2 with visitors Pelaw Grange Dogs, who had Jordan Stevens and David Jeffers on target.

Pelton RAOB squeezed home 3-2 at Sherburn Village, after storming into an early 2-0 lead thanks to Chris Winn’s well-taken double.

Garry Dodds pulled one back after keeper Scott Cresswell brilliantly saved a Jamie Abbott header. In an end to end thriller, Sherburn were pushing for an equaliser when Pelton broke, with Winn fouled for a penalty which Matt Smith converted.

Sherburn ralled instantly, Craig McManus sidefooting home a deep cross, but Buffs held on.

Newton Aycliffe WMC cruised home 6-0 at Chester Britannia, with four-goal Kieran Megran supported by strikes from Connor Hughes and Reed Malloy. Chris Youldon starred for Britannia.