Durham Sunday League: Cornbill seals the deal as Chilton grab cup final delight

Have your say

CHILTON WMC completed a memorable double with a hard-fought victory in the JD Taxis Guards Cup Final.

The First Division champions had to work to confirm their superiority against Second Division title winners Waldridge Park at New Ferens Park.

From the kick-off, Chilton asserted themselves and, following two near misses, they took the lead with a Nicky Pickford header from Vinny Gash’s cross.

Straight after the break, Gash found himself free in the box to double Chilton’s lead.

On the hour mark, Waldridge got back in the game, man of the match Richard Ellis hitting a fierce 25-yard strike into the bottom corner of keeper Bradley Wilkinson’s net.

Waldridge pushed forward in search of an equaliser, but Wilkinson made a string of saves to keep his team in front.

Chilton capitalised on his heroics to put the final beyond doubt at 3-1 in the final few minutes, with Joe Cornbill on target. David Harrison was Chilton’s man of the match.

Pelton RAOB guaranteed a third-place finish with a 5-3 defeat of Sherburn in their last match. Alex Peake stole the show with a clinical hat-trick, while Luke Kerry and Kevin Dixon also struck.

Sedgefield St Edmund’s eased into a final position of fourth place thanks to a 3-0 last-day win over third-bottom Hilda Park.

Brian Fairhurst’s fifth-minute penalty started the scoring on a horribly wet and windy morning, with a second-half double from Jonathan Pearson ensuring a good end-of-season win for Saints.

Hilda Park were happy with their performance, particularly given the torrential downpour from start to finish, but rued two mistakes for the first two goals. Chris Watson starred for Hilda.

Runners-up Newton Aycliffe WMC ended eight points adrift of champions Hetton Lyons CC, following a 2-0 win over relegated Coxhoe WMC.

Stephen Richardson and Jordan Lavery grabbed the goals to leave Coxhoe without a league win all season. David Whitehead stood out for the bottom club.

Ferryhill Celtic’s incredible late-season surge of fixtures, following their cup heroics all campaign, finally ended with a runners-up position – only three points behind champions Pelton Crown – in Division Three.

After 12 games in April, they completed their 22-game league programme with a 4-1 triumph at Esh Winning Cricket Club, taking their goal tally up to 119.

Gareth Trowles notched for Esh, but Celtic proved too strong as Luke Thompson, Shane Todd, Jason White and Andrew Agar all struck. Liam Pearson starred for Ferryhill, with Dean Taylor best for the hosts.

Quarrington Hill WMC edged home 1-0 against Fencehouses to finish off in fifth place in Division Four, with 47 points from their 24 games.

Chris Winter pounced for the only goal, with Ross Stoker the stand-out for Fencehouses, who ended their first campaign in sixth.

The final league match of the season is tomorrow, with Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars entertaining Durham County Seniors in Division Two.

The match was postponed due to last weekend’s bad weather.

The campaign ends with the Durham City Smiles League Cup final, with Pelton RAOB taking on Premier Division rivals Newton Aycliffe WMC at New Ferens Park next Friday (7.45pm).